This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1952 / 51°11'42"N
Longitude: -0.6552 / 0°39'18"W
OS Eastings: 494067
OS Northings: 144856
OS Grid: SU940448
Mapcode National: GBR FCT.WR6
Mapcode Global: VHFVS.L7H3
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029528
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288393
Location: Shackleford, Guildford, Surrey, GU8
Civil Parish: Shackleford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shackleford and Peper Harow
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94 SW SHACKLEFORD CP SHACKLEFORD ROAD
7/136 Church of St. Mary
Church. 1865. By Sir George Gilbert Scott. Snecked Bargate sandstone
with ashlar dressings, timber framed porch and plain tiled roofs with
wooden shingled broach spire to centre. Cruciform plan with central
crossing tower. Large church in Early English style with lancet openings
to tower, louvred and joined by hood mouldings, zig-zag mouldings to
eaves. Octagonal stair turret to south east corner of tower. Clerestoried
nave with pentice roofed aisles, quatrefoil clerestory windows, four to
each side. Two-light windows to aisles with foliage capitals to mullions.
Buttressed west end with three large lancets to nave, one west window to
each aisle. Roundel window in nave gable. Apsidal chancel with corbelled
eaves and five lancet windows with foliage capitals to mullions. Planked
doors to west end with strapwork hinges flanked by arched panels and
double order to jamb shafts. Heavy gabled timber framed porch to south
with cusped bargeboards and cambered tie beam to crown post roof. Dog-
tooth moulding around entrance arch of porch. Doubled south doors in
stone dress, dog-tooth surround with jamb shafts.
Interior: stone and plaster. C19 fittings.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) page 451.
Listing NGR: SU9406744856
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings