This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2217 / 51°13'17"N
Longitude: -0.631 / 0°37'51"W
OS Eastings: 495699
OS Northings: 147829
OS Grid: SU956478
Mapcode National: GBR FCN.99M
Mapcode Global: VHFVM.0KRB
Entry Name: Limnerslease, the Great Studio and the West Wing
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288323
Location: Compton, Guildford, Surrey, GU3
Civil Parish: Compton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Compton
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94 NE COMPTON C.P. DOWN LANE
3/66 Limnerslease, the
14.6.67 Great Studio and
the West Wing
House, now divided. 1891 by Sir Ernest George for G F Watts. Snecked
Bargate stone below, half timbered above with pebbledashed infill.
Plain tiled roofs, hipped and sweeping down to ends. Roughly L-shaped
with projecting studio wing to right end. Two storeys and attic under
hipped-roof casement dormers. Tall stack to front right with corbelled
top, arcaded rear ridge stacks to left and right. Casement fenestration,
the majority leaded, one window to first floor left in projecting half
hip and gable break in re-entrant angle. Three windows to centre, one in
hipped break to right and one ground floor window in extension to left.
Single storey wing to right with one large wood framed mullioned and
transomed window. Ribbed door in re-entrant angle under flat roofed
porch on bracket. Half glazed door to left end of wing in porch recess.
C20 brick and weatherboarded gable end extension to left end. Weather-
boarded porch to left end. Weather-boarded porch to right hand return
front with two dormers and a further door.
Listed for historical reasons as the home of George Frederick Watts,
OMRA, painter and sculptor until his death in 1904. After his death his
widow, Mary Seton Watts, continued to live there until her death in 1938.
Listing NGR: SU9569947829
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings