History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martha on the Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Martha, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2247 / 51°13'28"N

Longitude: -0.529 / 0°31'44"W

OS Eastings: 502814

OS Northings: 148302

OS Grid: TQ028483

Mapcode National: GBR GF3.51Z

Mapcode Global: VHFVN.SH50

Entry Name: Church of St Martha on the Hill

Listing Date: 14 June 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029553

English Heritage Legacy ID: 288351

Location: St. Martha, Guildford, Surrey, GU4

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Civil Parish: St. Martha

Civil Parish/community: St Martha

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Find accommodation in
Chilworth

Listing Text

TQ 04 NW ST MARTHA CP ST MARTHA'S HILL

4/94 Church of St Martha
14.6.67 on the Hill

II

Church. C12 remains incorporated or rebuilt into new church 1848-1850 by
Henry Woodyer in Norman style. Dark Bargate stone with sandstone dressings
and plain tiled roof. Cruciform plan with central crossing tower. Tower:
one lancet to each face in zig-zag moulded surrounds, corbelled parapet
to pyramidal roof. West end of church buttressed. Lancet windows
throughout, west window with scalloped capitals to jamb shafts. Three
light window to east wall of north and south transepts, three light window
to east end. Round arched, C12 recess to studded west door with impost
abaci. Stone dressed, roll moulded surround to south door placed in
pentice break.

Interior: Simple, five framed bays to nave roof, crown post trusses.
Four pointed arches to crossing - C12 (circa 1170) with semi-circular
respond piers to north trancept under scalloped capitals.

Fittings: "Tub" font, C12 - recut in 1850. Brought from Hambledon.
Stone with a flat wooden top.

Pulpit: Chalk, 1850. Panelled and roll moulded with Romanesque scalloped
capitals to shafts, gable moulding on bottom with battering plinth.

Screen: Circa 1900. Wood, cusped with foliage carving. Tudor style
arch to centre.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971).


Listing NGR: TQ0281448302

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.