This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2181 / 51°13'5"N
Longitude: -0.4975 / 0°29'50"W
OS Eastings: 505033
OS Northings: 147621
OS Grid: TQ050476
Mapcode National: GBR GF5.F22
Mapcode Global: VHFVP.BNC1
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Last Amended: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029561
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288267
Location: Albury, Guildford, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Albury
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Albury
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
In the entry for ALBURY CP CHURCH LANE
Church of St Peter
and St Paul (formerly
listed as The Old
Church of St Peter
and St Paul)
The item shall be amended to read: CHURCH LANE
Church of St Peter
and St Paul
The former listing date shall be omitted.
TQ 04 NE ALBURY C.P. CHURCH LANE
5/10 Church of St Peter and
St Paul (formerly listed as The
Old Church of St Peter and St Paul)
Church. 1842 by McIntosh Brooks, apse and transepts by Sir A W Blomfield
in 1868, north transept re-arranged as Memorial Chapel after the Second
World War by Sir Edward Maufe. Built in Romanesque style, a copy of the
Church at Thaon in Normandy. Red brick with some stone corbels to tower
eaves, blue slate roofs with stone slabs to tower. Cruciform plan with
apsidal east end and square tower to north-west. Brick plinth and sill
string-course to all windows. Offset clasping buttresses to tower.
Three stage tower under pyramidal roof and stone cross. One two-light,
round arched, brick mullioned window in each face of upper stage of tower,
each in a two-step, rubbed brick surround with circular jamb shafts and
impost string course. Smaller, two-light louvred openings on three
faces of middle stage of tower with round, rubbed brick, mullions.
Brick-edged roundel with quatrefoil tracery pattern on ground floor stage
to two faces, corbelled arcading to ground floor. Round arched brick
mullioned windows, three on north and south walls with alternating
buttresses, one transept window on north and south side - attached jamb
shafts and central mullion with "funnel" capital. Machiciolated eaves.
Square stair turret to west wall of north transept. Single storey flat
roofed vestry to east of south transept. Gabled west end with tower
projecting to left. Gabled roundel with trefoil tracery over dogtooth
string course. Triple arched arcade of windows in five-step surround
with crocket capitals to round jamb shafts. Ribbed and studded double
doors with shouldered frame in round-arched surround. Herringbone brick
patterning in over-door tympaneum. Projecting brick chevron course on piers
and attached columns with scalloped capitals in flanking lancets. Further
door to north side of tower.
Interior: whitewashed, three-bay nave and one-bay crossing. Braced kingpost
roof. Billeted ribbed-arch braced roof to apse, end braces gathering
together to form pendant. Wooden gallery and organ loft to west end.
Two-bay arcade across north transept with central column under blocked
capital. Panelled wood partition across south transept. Painted ceiling
in north transept. Pannelled and painted stone pulpit. Granite font:
square, on massive circular stem.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp 92-3
Listing NGR: TQ0503347621
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings