This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2186 / 51°13'6"N
Longitude: -0.478 / 0°28'40"W
OS Eastings: 506390
OS Northings: 147701
OS Grid: TQ063477
Mapcode National: GBR GF5.KYB
Mapcode Global: VHFVP.NMNP
Entry Name: Albury Park
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029565
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288274
Location: Albury, Guildford, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Albury
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Albury
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04 NE ALBURY C.P. NEW ROAD
5/17 Albury Park
House. C16 origins on older cellars, rebuilt by John and George Evelyn
in C17, altered circa 1700 and extended by Sir John Soane in 1800,
further altered by Hakewill in the early C19 and remodelled by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin in 1846 - 1852, possibly with the assistance of his son Edward Welby Pugin. Galleted ironstone with brick dressings and plain tiled roofs. In Tudor Gothic style.
Entrance front: Three storeys with attic storey in taller tower to right
end. Battlemented parapets obscuring the roofs. Multiple rubbed and cut
brick stacks in varying patterns to ends and centre, some of the 63 chimneys
on the house - its main feature - each of different design. Nine bays with
string courses over ground and first floors. Buttressed two-bay break to
left and right end, brick dressed casement fenestration with 7 windows
across first floor and 9 windows above. One large stone dressed casement
window to left of centre. Six larger windows to ground floor, stone dressed
and with arched stone lights to recessed entrance bays. Arched door to
right of centre, further door to right.
Left hand return front: (North side facing gardens) Two storeys and attics
with 4 gabled dormers alternating with chimneys. Two storey, spindly porch
to left with octagonal angle piers and brick finials. Chamfered arched brick
surround under label moulding with shields over.
Rear: (East elevation) Square tower to left with angle bay to ground and
first floors. Single storey service wings to right hand side.
Interior: Remnants of earlier remodelling survive.
Library - modelled by Evelyn with C17 brick and stone fireplace, dentilled
eaves with egg and dart pattern.
Hall - Soane staircase survives, one arm winding around a narrow oblong well.
Drawing Room - Flaxman fireplace recently reinstated. Marble with caryatids
and scroll and flower work.
The house is set out in grounds laid out by John Evelyn.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971), p.93.
COUNTRY LIFE: AUGUST 25 and SEPTEMBER 1 1950, pp.598 and 674.
Listing NGR: TQ0638447696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings