This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2227 / 51°13'21"N
Longitude: -0.483 / 0°28'58"W
OS Eastings: 506031
OS Northings: 148144
OS Grid: TQ060481
Mapcode National: GBR GF5.BPB
Mapcode Global: VHFVP.LJ0K
Entry Name: Catholic Apostolic Church and Chapterhouse
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029568
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288282
Location: Albury, Guildford, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Albury
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Albury
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04 NE ALBURY C.P. SHERBOURNE
5/25 Catholic Apostolic
14.6.67 Church and Chapterhouse
Church and chapter house. 1840 for Henry Drummond by W M Brookes and
Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin in Perpendicular style. Ashlar plinth, sandstone rubble walls set in ironstone galleting, slate roofs. Cruciform plan with tower to west end and octagonal chapter house attached to north east. Vestries to
east end. Four-stage tower to west, square with battlemented parapet,
crocketed corner finials and pyramidal roof crowned by a stone cross.
One 2-light louvred opening in top stage under label moulding, on all
faces. Angle buttresses to lower stages. Large, four-light west window.
Buttressed three bay nave with arched three-light windows under mouldings.
Battlemented parapets and diagonal buttresses to west end. Small, square
metal turret to nave roof on tapering plinth, an arched entrance on each
side. Large four-light transept windows to north and south. Large roundel
with flowing tracery to east end. Single storey vestries across end.
Octagonal chapter house to north connected to north transept by two-bay,
single storey corridor with two single-light, ogee tracery windows under
label mouldings. Buttressed chapter house with crocketed finials. One
three-light Rectilinear window under flat lintel to each face. Door to
chapter house in west face in moulded and chamfered surround. Small
tower doors to north and south. Large panelled doors to west end in
chamfered surround under open, trefoil head arched arcade. Moulded
capitals to jamb shafts with quatrefoil carving in coved spandrels.
Interior: Six bays. Transept arches with thin jamb shafts and funnel
capitals. King post roof with trefoil arcading to sides. Tower arch
to west. Texts painted on nave walls.
Fittings: C19 pews and fittings with crocketed decoration. Elaborate
panelled pulpit with arcaded balustrade to stairway. Billeted screen
to organ loft across north transept. Octagonal stone font on carved
octagonal stand with elaborate crocketed wooden font cover over. C19
chancel fittings, including choir stalls and reredos. Painted walls.
Original stained glass.
The Church was built for Henry Drummond's Catholic Apostolic Sect formed
in the 1830s and concentrated at Albury in 1835. The last apostle
died in 1901 and the last service was held at the church in 1950.
Listing NGR: TQ0603148139
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings