This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2262 / 51°13'34"N
Longitude: -0.6467 / 0°38'47"W
OS Eastings: 494597
OS Northings: 148313
OS Grid: SU945483
Mapcode National: GBR FCM.5B6
Mapcode Global: VHFVL.QFZV
Entry Name: Greyfriars
Listing Date: 13 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288184
Location: Wanborough, Guildford, Surrey, GU3
Civil Parish: Wanborough
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Seale, Puttenham and Wanborough
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94NW WANBOROUGH C.P. HOGS BACK
House. 1896 by C.A. Voysey for Julian Sturgis, extended to the west in 1913/14 by
Herbert Baker. Whitewashed roughcast with smooth ashlar dressings, hipped slate
roof swept out at eaves. 2 storeys and attic in gables and under flat lead roofed,
leaded casement dormers. Multiple ridge stacks to left end, left of centre, right of
centre,and right end. Tiled pentice drip-course over ground floor, deep boarded
eaves. Stone dressed leaded casement fenestration. Entrance front: irregular broken
roof line. Hipped 2 storey range to left 3-windows on first floor and large battering
buttresses to right. Steep gable over narrow bay the other side of the buttress 2
windows on the first floor and one large mullioned and transomed window below.
Taller square tower to centre with roundel window over 4 first floor windows, irregularly
placed, and ground floor door. Gabled bay and wing to right with first floor windows
in continuous strip, 4 windows below. Slight projection, chamfered, to right end.
Main entrance to right of centre in chamfered edge, stone, recessed porch with block
Garden front: large gable to left end with slits in apex. 3 dormer windows buttressed
to right end. Irregular leaded casement fenestration, 9 windows across first floor,
7 below. 2 storey square bay to left with continuous window strip on both floors,
smaller square bay to right. Single storey extension to left end. Return wall to
right end with arched door giving access to service court.
Interior: some fittngs survive, mainly locks and keys. Board doors. Wood and stone
fireplace surrounds, coved ceilings.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971 pp 267-8)
Listing NGR: SU9459748313
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings