History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hop Garden Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Godstone, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2431 / 51°14'35"N

Longitude: -0.0476 / 0°2'51"W

OS Eastings: 536377

OS Northings: 151140

OS Grid: TQ363511

Mapcode National: GBR KKC.SYM

Mapcode Global: VHGSD.406T

Entry Name: Hop Garden Cottage

Listing Date: 9 January 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029686

English Heritage Legacy ID: 287952

Location: Godstone, Tandridge, Surrey, RH9

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge

Civil Parish: Godstone

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godstone and Blindley Heath

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Tandridge

Listing Text

TQ 35 SE
6/10000

GODSTONE
LEIGH PLACE LANE
Hop Garden Cottage

II
Cottage. Early C18 (shown on Rocque Map of 1768) with early C20 porch,
refenestrated in existing openings in C20 and C20 rear extensions.
Built of red brick in Flemish bond with some grey headers. Sides are
tile-hung to upper floors. Tiled roof with end brick chimney stacks
including large external stack on right hand side. 2 storeys and
attics in gable end, 3 windows. This may have started as a single room
on each floor at the south end but now 3 bay end chimneystack plan.
C20 casements in original openings with rubbed brick voussoirs to
ground floor. Band between floors. Central,early C20 porch of brick
and ragstone with splat balusters to upper part and tiled gable.
Cambered opening behind and sun fireplaque numbered 1710. Extensions
of 1927 and 1980s to rear, probably replacing earlier outshut.
Interior has exposed floor joists to ground floor south room, probably
re-used medieval posts. 1st floor rooms have chamfered spine beams
with curved step stops and lambs tongue stops. The old timbers may
have come from Leigh Place, a medieval house demolished and rebuilt
before 1658. This building was probably built for hop-workers.


Listing NGR: TQ3637751140

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.