This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3882 / 51°23'17"N
Longitude: -0.4537 / 0°27'13"W
OS Eastings: 507694
OS Northings: 166601
OS Grid: TQ076666
Mapcode National: GBR 29.B9F
Mapcode Global: VHFTY.3C0M
Entry Name: Monument Dedicated to Margaret Love Peacock, North of Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 24 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287988
Location: Spelthorne, Surrey, TW17
District Council Ward: Shepperton Town
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: St Nicholas Shepperton
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 06NE SUNBURY-ON-THAMES, FORMER UD CHURCH SQUARE
3/17 Monument dedicated
to Margaret Love
Peacock, North of
Church of St. Nichola
Headstone. Dated 1826 and dedicated to Margaret Love Peacock, daughter of the
Poet Thomas Love Peacock. Stone. Arched head with end finials. Inscribed with
an epitaph in the form of a poem composed by Thomas Love Peacock as follows:-
"Long night succeeds thy little day
Oh blighted blossom can it be
That this gray stone and grassy clay
Have closed out anxious care of thee.
The half-formed words of liveliest thought
That spoke a mind beyond thy years
The song the dance by nature caught
The sunny smile the transient tears.
The symmetry of face and form
The age with light and life replete
The little heart so fondly warm
The voice so musically sweet.
The saddest to in memory of
Around the hearts that loved the cling
She leaving with long and regret
The in promise of thy spring".
Listed for historical interest.
Listing NGR: TQ0769466601
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings