This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2854 / 51°17'7"N
Longitude: -0.1247 / 0°7'28"W
OS Eastings: 530874
OS Northings: 155695
OS Grid: TQ308556
Mapcode National: GBR G7.WRM
Mapcode Global: VHGRY.SYFJ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 21 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029813
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287663
Location: Chaldon, Tandridge, Surrey, CR3
Civil Parish: Chaldon
Built-Up Area: Chaldon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Chaldon St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35NW CATERHAM & WARLINGHAM CHURCH LANE,
FORMER URBAN DISTRICT CHALDON
2/8 Church of St. Peter and
Church. C11 origin, mostly late C12 and early C13 with south porch C16 (restored
in C19), and tower of 1843. Flint rubble with stone dressings, ashlar to the tower.
Plain tiled roofs with wood shingled broach spire. Nave and aisles with porch
and tower to the south; chancel to the east with former chapel (now vestry) to the
north and chapel to the south. All window tracery restored, decorated style on
east window. Timber framed gabled porch with planked and studded oak doors.
Interior: stone floor, 2 bay nave arcades on circular piers with slightly chamfered
arches to the south, doubled chamfer to the north. Blocked C13 arch to north chance
chapel, C14 chancel arch to south chancel chapel.
Fittings: Pulpit, 1657, oak, panelled and framed with guilloche bands. Square
stone font on octagonal stone stem. Stained glass: east window by Davell. 1869.
Wall painting: west wall c1200 one of the most important English wall paintings
of that date. A type of purgatorial ladder in yellow ochre, red and white.
17 foot x 11 foot. Divided in two by cloudy band with the lower half decorated
to torments and punishments of the wicked, the upper half devoted to the judgement
and salvation of souls. In the centre is a ladder with Christ above. The main
figures include the tree of knowledge,). with the serpent (bottom right), the seven
deadly sins and a cauldron for boiling murderers. Across the top are depicted the
3 Marys and Elijah and Enoch ascending to heaven, Christ defeating the devil and
Christ preaching to the spirits in prison.
Monuments: Panel on north chancel wall. Dated 1562. Stone square tablet with
inscribed centre panel flanked by tapering elaborate pilasters with steep. crowning
pediment with modillions and sun in the tympaneum.
South chancel chapel: to Christian Hane. Died 1752. Aedicular type with white
stone rectangular panel flanked by Doric pilasters with red marble. inlay. Grey
apron panel below. Swan neck pediment with crowning shell above.
Listing NGR: TQ3087555695
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings