History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Green Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Chapel and Hill Chorlton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9388 / 52°56'19"N

Longitude: -2.2817 / 2°16'54"W

OS Eastings: 381165

OS Northings: 337975

OS Grid: SJ811379

Mapcode National: GBR 03M.RYG

Mapcode Global: WH9C0.XDNC

Entry Name: Green Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029829

English Heritage Legacy ID: 362550

Location: Chapel and Hill Chorlton, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Civil Parish: Chapel and Hill Chorlton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Chapel Chorlton St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Standon

Listing Text

SJ 83 NW CHAPEL AND HILL CHORLTON C.P. CHORLTON GREEN

10/16 Green Farmhouse


II


Farmhouse. Medieval origins (C15?), extensively re-modelled c.1600,
altered and re-faced in early C19. Yellowish-brown brick, plain tile
roof with axial ridge stack to left of centre and end stack to right.
Probably originally an open hall of 2 or 3 bays, a first floor and stack
were inserted c.1600; simultaneously, or a little later, a single-bay
addition was made to the right-hand end. In early C19 the eaves were
raised and the whole re-faced in brick. 2 storeys, dentilled eaves
cornice; 3 windows, 3-light late C19 casements with plastered lintels;
entrance through late C19 gabled porch between second and third windows
from left. Mid-.C19 lean-to additions to left and to rear. Interior:
cross-wall in line with entrance porch has exposed square panelling
(wattle and daub infill plastered over); large fireplaces on either
side of the inserted stack; moulded spine and cross-beams to the 2
principal (earlier) ground floor rooms. Upstairs (directly above the
timber framed cross-wall) is what appears to be the remains of a cruck
blade (concealed by wallpaper at the time of re-survey [1984]).


Listing NGR: SJ8116537975

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.