History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Loggerheads, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9335 / 52°56'0"N

Longitude: -2.4102 / 2°24'36"W

OS Eastings: 372523

OS Northings: 337417

OS Grid: SJ725374

Mapcode National: GBR 7Y.M91B

Mapcode Global: WH9BY.YJFH

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 2 December 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1029847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 362598

Location: Loggerheads, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, TF9

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Civil Parish: Loggerheads

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Mucklestone St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Market Drayton

Listing Text

SJ 73 NW LOGGERHEADS C.P MUCKLESTONE

8/116
- ---- --- ---.-- ------------ Old Rectory
2/12/52
GV II

Former rectory, now house. Probably partly C17, extended and re-modelled
c.1730 and c.1820-30. Red brick (partly painted) in parts probably
over timber frame; plain tiled roofs, gabled to east, hipped to west.
2 storeys and attics; cellars. East front: in 2 distinct sections
with steeper roof pitch to left. C18 brick cladding over timber frame;
right-hand portion of 3 bays; glazing bar sashes and one gabled dormer
in roof slope, tall brick end stacks; lower section with 2 sashes to
first floor and 2 multi-paned casements to ground; sashed staircase
window to left and gabled dormer in roof slope, also to left. South
front: re-faced c,1730 (see straight joint between brick angle pilaster
and wall behind). 5 bays with brick pilasters to 2 left-hand bays and
right-hand corner; flush-framed glazing bar sashes, those on ground
floor with segmental heads (also one narrow blocked window to left-
hand bay on first floor); late C19 inserted pointed doorway with Gothic
tracery to left-hand bay; floor band and moulded eaves cornice, 2
brick ridge stacks. West (garden) front: in 3 bays with wide projecting
full-height 3-window bow with conical roof to left; glazing bar sashes
including one blind and one tripartite French window to right; wide
spreading eaves, ridge stack. Long single-storeyed painted brick range
(housing workshops) extends at right-angles from south-east corner of
east side (hidden from south by red brick wall with stone coping [not
included]). Interior: drawing room in bow with plaster ceiling and
marble fireplace (c.1830), original shutters to this range; cellars
with thick, coursed sandstone walls probably C17. Double-purlin roof.
with straight windbraces.


Listing NGR: SJ7252337417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.