This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2094 / 51°12'33"N
Longitude: -0.0106 / 0°0'38"W
OS Eastings: 539061
OS Northings: 147456
OS Grid: TQ390474
Mapcode National: GBR KKZ.450
Mapcode Global: VHGSD.RVRR
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029927
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287352
Location: Crowhurst, Tandridge, Surrey, RH7
Civil Parish: Crowhurst
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Crowhurst St George
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 34NE CROWHURST C.P. CROWHURST LANE
5/113 Church of St. George
Church. C12. Nave, late C12 south aisle and porch, C15 chancel all "repaired
and made plain in 1657" bellturret and spire above rebuilt after fire in 1947.
Wealdstone rubble with brick buttresses and dressings, weatherboard bellturret
with shingled broach spire above; Horsham slab roofs to south, plain tiled
roofs over nave and chancel. Nave with single bay aisle and porch to south,
chancel to east, tower and spire to west end. Buttresses to ends,diagonal
on east. C13 lancet windows to west part of chancel with traces of further
lancets to east. East and west end windows C15 in Perpendicular style, east
window of south aisle C14 in decorated style with C12 rear arch and remains of
carved leaf capitals springing from side shafts; further 2-light windows to
north with renewed lancets. Ribbed double doors to south in chamfered arch
Interior: stone tiled floor, 3 windowed nave, 2 windowed chancel, trussed rafter
roofs of C15 date. Braced posts to spire to west end.
Paintings:- Painted walls to east end of chancel in Pre-Raphaelite style.
Fittings:- C19 lecturn with linenfold patterning. Octagonal C13 font; stone
bowl on centre stem with round piers to angles.
Stained glass:- fragments of C15 glass in east window.
Monuments:- Chancel north side - Tomb chest to John Gaynesford the elder, died
1450. North chancel wall:- wall tomb to Richard Marryott, 1675. Aedicular,
grey and white marble with swans neck pediment to top; rosettes in end. Central
shield cartouche with inscription and flanking Ionic scroll columns. South
chancel wall:- canopied chest tomb. To John Gaynesford the Younger, died 1460.
Canopy battlemented with monsters and foliage in spandrels and cusps, brass
plate to top of chest. Also unnamed simple tomb chest under four centred arch.
South chancel wall. Aedicular style wall monument to Justinian Angell died 1680.
Broken segmental pediment with rosettes to central gilt wood cartouche breaking
pediment. Cherubs heads over with bollection moulding around panel and flanking
scrolls. Wooden hatchment to Margaret Gainsford, died 1691 on north nave wall.
Listing NGR: TQ3906147456
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings