This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2414 / 51°14'28"N
Longitude: -0.0994 / 0°5'57"W
OS Eastings: 532764
OS Northings: 150849
OS Grid: TQ327508
Mapcode National: GBR KKG.5PF
Mapcode Global: VHGSC.7295
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287250
Location: Bletchingley, Tandridge, Surrey, RH1
Civil Parish: Bletchingley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Bletchingley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35SW BLETCHINGLEY C.P. CHURCH WALK
2/15 Church of St. Mary
11/6/58 the Virgin
Church. Cll tower, north chancel arcade and south chancel chapel C13 with C15
alterations; south aisle and porch C15. North aisle 1856 by Rhode-Hawkins.
Church restored in 1870 by J.L. Pearson and the upper stage of the tower renewed
in Perpendicular style by Baker-King in 1910. Ironstone rubble with ashlar
dressings to tower, coursed stone to remainder; battlemented parapets partly
obscuring slate roof; plain tiled pyramidal roof over tower with iron and wood
crowning weathervane. Tower to west, aisled pave with two storey porch to south,
rood turret between south aisle and south chancel chapel to east with vestry to
north. Unbuttressed 3 stage tower with two-light window to west face and top
stage with Perpendicular style windows and angle gargoyles. C19 aisle windows in
elaborate Perpendicular style, lancets to east 1870. C15 3 light segmental head
windows to south chancel chapel with quatrefoil opening below associated with
Roger the Hermit of Bletchingley. Arched west door with jamb shafts and human
head stops to hood moulding. Renewed south door under C15 roll moulded surround
in rich battlemented and crocketed Perpendicular porch.
Interior: 4 bay nave arcades on lobed and convex compound piers of quatrefoil
section. C15 timber nave roof with tie beams supported on carved stone brackets
in the shape of human and Devils heads. Tower arch to west on square responds
and corner shafts with upright leaf and volute carving. Chancel with Norman
window on east end of north side. Chamfered reveals to other northern chancel
windows on short shafts standing on wall seats.
Fittings: Reredos to east end of chancel by G.E. Street 1870 including portrayal
of Bishop Wilberforce amongst apostles. trefoil head perpendicular style piscina
in east wall of south chancel chapel. C15 stone canopy to north aisle in chapel
of the Holy Spirit. Jacobean oak pulpit, 1650. Central stem with panelled sides,
fluted pilasters to back board flanking arched niche. C15 stone font, octagonal
bowl with quatrefoils, octagonal stem with trefoil-headed niches.
Stained glass: Two south aisle windows by Camper and Kempe.
Monuments: South chapel east wall. To Sir Robert and Lady Clayton 1705 by
Robert Crutcher, the only known example of his work. Veined grey marble with
darker grey ground, over life size standing figures in aedicular surround with
crowning segmental arch inside broken and split pediment supporting fluted
corinthian columns and panelled pilasters on panelled plinth. Standing figures
of Sir Robert and Lady Clayton in contemporary dress with their son in swaddling
clothes between. Mourning cherubs on ends and in top of central drapery inscription
panel. Iron railings across the front-with twisted standards to ends and centre.
South chancel chapel, south chapel wall. Monument to Anna, Lady Clayton 1772 by
14. Tyler. Marble with standing cherub leaning on draped urn. South Chancel Arcade,
east bay: Chest tomb to Sir Thomas Cawarden. Died 1559. (Anne of Cleves steward).
Stone with angle pilasters and recessed panels to north and south sides containing
strapwork rosettes and bars. Small brass plate on top with Italic inscription.
North Aisle, east bay: Monument to Sir William Beasley died 1809 by J. Bacon junior.
Stone, grey ground with white marble female figure carrying scales; draped urn on
pedestal surrounded by references to his service in East India Company i.e. Ships
North Aisle wall: Monument to Nathaniel Harris. 1625. Black inscription panel
flanking pilaster shafts, brown stone with dentilled cornice, gadroon type decoration
SOURCES: PEVSNER - Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp,l155
V.C.H, Surrey (1967) Vol. Iv. pp. 261-264.
Listing NGR: TQ3276350852
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings