This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2528 / 51°15'10"N
Longitude: -0.1004 / 0°6'1"W
OS Eastings: 532662
OS Northings: 152121
OS Grid: TQ326521
Mapcode National: GBR KK8.KF5
Mapcode Global: VHGS5.6RSY
Entry Name: Place Farm House Including Cleves Cottage
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Last Amended: 25 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029989
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287294
Location: Bletchingley, Tandridge, Surrey, RH1
Civil Parish: Bletchingley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Bletchingley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35SW BLETCHINGLEY C.P. PLACE FARM ROAD
2/57 Place Farm House including
11/6/58 Cleves Cottage
(formerly listed as
Place Farm House and barn
Former Gatehouse to Bletchingley Place now house. C16 rebuilt in C18. Brick
plinth, part rendered, red and brown brick above with deep eaves to plain tiled
roof; end ridge stacks. 2 storeys, 3 glazing bar sash windows under cambered heads
across the first floor; outer windows tripartite. Ground floor sash windows under
diagonally placed gauged brick heads. Central six panel door under traceried fan-
light and flat Doric wood columned portico in blocked former gateway. 5 step
surround to four centred arch with brick roll moulding to outer block. Cleves
Cottage to right: wealdstone with brick dressings. 2 storeys with 2 casements on
first floor. Part glazed door to left.
Interior: Large fireplace in ground floor room to right. Large beams in roof-
space formerly supporting upper storey. The gatehouse is the only remaining
building from Bletchingley Place, built by Duke of Buckingham, appropriated by
Henry VIII and given to Anne of Cleves in 1540 after her divorce from the King.
The house was eventually demolished in 1680 by the Earl of Peterborough.
V.C.H.: Surrey (1967) Vol. IV p.254.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.116.
Listing NGR: TQ3266252121
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings