This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3368 / 51°20'12"N
Longitude: -0.7596 / 0°45'34"W
OS Eastings: 486504
OS Northings: 160475
OS Grid: SU865604
Mapcode National: GBR D8T.0SV
Mapcode Global: VHDXH.SN9K
Entry Name: Church of St Michael York Town
Listing Date: 19 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287101
Location: Surrey Heath, Surrey, GU15
District: Surrey Heath
Town: Surrey Heath
District Council Ward: St Michaels
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Camberley St Michael (York Town)
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 86SE FRIMLEY & CAMBERLEY FORMER U.D. LONDON ROAD,
3/32 Church of St. Michael
Church. 1849-1851 by H. Woodyer, arcades and aisles in 1858-9, tower added 1891.
C20 extension to north west. Free stone with stone dressings, coursed Bargate
stone tower and broach spire, brick extension; plain tiled roofs with stone coped
kneelers. Aisled nave with chancel to the east, vestry to north east; gabled
stone porch to south, tower to west end. 2 stage tower with polygonal stair
turret to south west angler ashlar offset angle buttresses to remaining corners.
Two roundel bands around spire with gabled stone louvred traceried openings to
base on foliage frieze. Double louvred stone traceried openings on all of lower
faces in first stage, large stone tracery window below onwest face; clock to
south side. Archangel Michael in canopied niche over doubled doors in hooded
surround to south. 3 gabled through-eaves stone traceried windows on aisles,
triangular wood dormers in nave roof. Lancet windows to chancel in continuous
hood and sill string courses. South door in gabled porch with quatrofoil windows
to east and west sides; coloured stone columns to entrance. Double planked
doors in steep triangular head surround.
Interior: Stone and brick with C19 fittings. Octagonal stone font.
Due to prominent position on a hill the spire forms a dominant feature on town
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p,128.
Listing NGR: SU8650460475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings