History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bisley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3274 / 51°19'38"N

Longitude: -0.6266 / 0°37'35"W

OS Eastings: 495787

OS Northings: 159592

OS Grid: SU957595

Mapcode National: GBR FB9.QDV

Mapcode Global: VHFV1.3W2T

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 28 February 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030064

English Heritage Legacy ID: 287071

Location: Bisley, Surrey Heath, Surrey, GU24

County: Surrey

District: Surrey Heath

Civil Parish: Bisley

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Bisley and West End

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Bisley

Listing Text

SU 95NE BISLEY C.P. CHURCH LANE

9/2 Church of St. John
the Baptist
28/2/55
II*

Church. C13 with C14 porch. Early C19 chancel and north aisle 1873. Carstone
to aisle walls with sandstone block dressings, stock brick chancel and brick
extensions, timber framed porch. Plain tiled roofs with weatherboard belfry under
wood shingled broach spire to west. Nave with pent roof aisle to north, chancel
to east with vestry and extensions to south; bellcote and porch to west end.
Buttresses to west end; stone dressed windows, 3-light to south, one C14, one
C19. Lancet windows to east end. Arched planked door in stone surround with
dogtooth decoration; hood mould over with end stops. Timber framed porch,
open over panelled dado walls, moulded mullions above.

Interior:- Simple, whitewash interior, 2 bay north aisle with round piers
and chamfered arches; timber frame of belfry to west end with moulded beams
tying into walls.

Fittings:- Wood panelled pulpit. Sandstone font with octagonal bowl, panelled
decorations on each face alternating roundels and celtic crosses. Octagonal
stem on plinth below.

V.C.H. Vol. II p.428-9, 453. III p398.
PEVSNER. Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.112.


Listing NGR: SU9578759592

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.