History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Henry Bridge's Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elmbridge, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3898 / 51°23'23"N

Longitude: -0.3387 / 0°20'19"W

OS Eastings: 515688

OS Northings: 166945

OS Grid: TQ156669

Mapcode National: GBR 6H.98W

Mapcode Global: VHGRG.2BSG

Entry Name: Henry Bridge's Almshouses

Listing Date: 14 August 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286960

Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT7

County: Surrey

District: Elmbridge

Town: Elmbridge

Locality: Thames Ditton

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Thames Ditton

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Thames Ditton

Listing Text

TQ 16NE
3/389

BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE
THAMES DITTON
STATION ROAD
Nos. 58 to 68 (even) (Henry Bridge's Almshouses)

14.8.53.

II*
Almshouse row. 1720, restored in C20. Brown brick with red brick dressings, plain tiled roof with rendered coping to gables. Three rear stacks, one to centre and one to each end. Two storeys with plat band over ground floor. Twelve bays, centre four in projecting pedimented break with wooden moulding to pediment. Six casement windows across the first floor, windows in first, fourth, fifth, eighth, ninth and twelfth bays blocked. Ground floor windows under cambered heads. Six ribbed and boarded doors under identical trellis porches with pentice roofs across the ground floor. Square wood sundial in pediment tympaneum dated 1720.

Two stone plaques in centre of first floor, upper one inscribed: " EX DONO/ HENRICA BRIDGES GEN/ DOWN MANOR Y DE IMWORTH/ ATS IMBER COURT/ ANNO DOM 1720" The lower one recording the renovation of 1925. Further metal plaque below commemorating restoration of 1977.


Listing NGR: TQ1568866945

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.