This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3317 / 51°19'54"N
Longitude: -0.4264 / 0°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 509727
OS Northings: 160351
OS Grid: TQ097603
Mapcode National: GBR 37.Z20
Mapcode Global: VHFV4.KSGH
Entry Name: Painshill House
Listing Date: 17 March 1982
Last Amended: 16 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286920
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT11
District Council Ward: Cobham & Downside
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Cobham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 06SE BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE PORTSMOUTH ROAD
4/334 Painshill House
17.3.82. (Formerly listed
under Painshill Park)
House, now divided. Said by Harrison to have been built in 1778 by Richard Jupp for
Benjamin Bond Hopkins, altered by Decimus Burton in C19 with C19 wings. Rendered with
hipped slate roofs and multiple rendered stacks. 2 storeys over basement, rusticated
to centre, with dentilled eaves. Main block of 3 bays,centre bowed . Sash windows to
first floor, tripartite in outer bays, with flat hood surrounds to bow bay windows.
Ground floor windows to outer bays are casements, arched to central, bowed bay.
Projecting C19 porch to centre approached up a flight of 5 steps with iron rail to
left side. 6 panel door in arched recess on left side of porch with Ionic pilaster
surround, urns and roundel decoration above. Single storey wing to right, further
3 bay 2 storey wing to left breaking forward and containing additional doors.
Garden Front: Bowed outer bays through two storeys with single storey, Doric columned
loggia to centre, now glazed.
Interior: fine oval entry hall in Adam style. Stone staircase with wrought iron
balustrade and domed top light. Drawing room to centre of garden front has chimmney
breast ascribed to Flaxman.
This house, on a different site, replaced the original Panshill built for Charles
Hamilton- one of the earliest English landscape gardeners. The gardens of the
original house survive largely intact and are under restoration at the time of
VIEWS OF SEATS OF NOBLEMEN AND GENTLEMEN : J.P. NEALE 1824.
COUNTRY LIFE : Article 10.3.04.
VISITATIONS OF SEATS : J.B BURKE 1852
THE ENGLISH LANDSCAPE GARDEN: U.F. CLARK HARRISON
VIEWS OF SEATS 1787.
Listing NGR: TQ0972760351
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings