This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3871 / 51°23'13"N
Longitude: -0.4177 / 0°25'3"W
OS Eastings: 510200
OS Northings: 166526
OS Grid: TQ102665
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.7D1
Mapcode Global: VHFTY.QD1H
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030224
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286637
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT12
District Council Ward: Walton Central
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Walton-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 16NW BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE CHURCH STREET
Walton on Thames
2/74 Church of St. Mary
Church. C13 with C14 chancel, C17 additions and C19 restoration. Flint with stone
dressings, brick north aisle, buttresses and tower parapet, rendered chancel with
plain tiled roofs. Tower to west , nave with aisles and south porch, chancel to
east with vestry to north east. Square tower with curious, steeply sloping, diagonal
buttresses, the result of C19 restoration. One lancet window to each face of first
stage with crowning flagpole and iron weathervane. North aisle: C17 casement windows
under flat drip mouldings, C20 windows to south aisle, C19 east window- 3-light with
cusped, Decorated tracery.
Interior: Four bay nave arcade, Norman round piers to north with scalloped capitals,
c 1150. South aisle arcade C14, octagonal piers with moulded capitals, pointed C14
chancel arch. C17 timber, Queen-post roof to nave.
Fittings: Sedelia and Piscina on south chancel wall-C14. C19 stone pulpit of polychr-
ome marble, octagonal, with angle columns. Octagonal stone font. Gallery over north
aisle and across the west end of the nave, partly Jacobean with square, tapering,
strapwork balusters, the remainder copied in 1925. Organ case of c1680 by Bernard
Smith for Charles II's private chapel at Windsor, restored in 1936.
Monuments: North aisle: Richard Boyle, Viscount Shannon. Erected 1755 by F.L. Roubiliac.
Grey and white marble c 25 feet high. Large pedestal to bottom with seated daughter
of the Viscount, her arm draped around an urn . Flanking angle scrolls either side
of carved tent pavilion behind the standing, life-size figure of the Viscount on a
smaller plinth, leaning on a gun. Cannon and carriage to left, standards and drum to
North aisle wall: Brass to John Selwyn, died 1587. Mounted on a stone tablet. Male
and female standing figures to either side, 11 children between. Square plaque above
of a man riding a stag- commemorating Selwyn's exploit of killing a stag at Queen
South Aisle: over south door: Rodney Memorial. 1774. Adam style wall plaque, stone
with black stone band around the central inscription. Lotus freize across the top
and thin pilasters to the sides. Oval urn to centre with garland decoration, apron
below containing cartouche .
Spandrel of arch to east on north arcade: Henry Fletcher. Died 1807. Aedicular
pedimented plaque on cill blocks.
North chancel wall: Matthew Kirby. Died 1721, erected 1730. Grey and white stone
with projecting fluted Ionic pilasters, flanking scrolls and 2 putti above with
cartouche shield on gadrooned pedestal. Cill volutes and apron below with winged
Henry Skrine. Died 1824 by Jospeh Gott. White stone stele with seated woman and
standing figure of Faith to the left.
South Chancel wall: Mr. & Mrs. Christopher D'Oyley. 1821 by F. Chantry. Grey ground
with Greek stele containing mourning draped female over monument/tomb of her husband.
Brown marble wall monument. 1619, with brown inscription panel, flanking scrolls.
Broken pediment above with central lantern finial.
Watkins memorial. Died 1706. White stone draperied cartouche with Cherubim.
Inscription of verse attributed to Queen Elizabeth on east pier of north nave arcade.
Listing NGR: TQ1020066526
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings