History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Dower House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ufford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1196 / 52°7'10"N

Longitude: 1.3556 / 1°21'20"E

OS Eastings: 629818

OS Northings: 252121

OS Grid: TM298521

Mapcode National: GBR WQ1.1JX

Mapcode Global: VHLBJ.GZ0H

Entry Name: The Old Dower House

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Last Amended: 15 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030276

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286560

Location: Ufford, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Ufford

Built-Up Area: Ufford (Suffolk Coastal)

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ufford St Mary of the Assumption

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Pettistree

Listing Text

UFFORD LOWER STREET
TM 25 SE
(North side)
9/147
16/3/66 The Old Dower House
(formerly listed as
Red House)
- II

House, built as a rectory. Mid C18. For Jacob Chilton, (rector 1725-
1765). Red Flemish bond brick with a plain tile roof. Two storeys with
attic. Entrance front: 3 bays symmetrically disposed. Central doorway
with classical surround with panelled reveal. Door of 6 raised and fielded
panels with fanlight which projects into an open dentilled pediment
supported by scroll brackets. To either side of this are mid-C19 canted
bay windows which have hipped C20 roofs. To the first floor are a central
sash window of 3 x 4 panes and at either side tripartite windows with
central sashes of 3 x 4 panes and lateral sashes of 1 x 4 panes. All have
heads of gauged brick. The surrounds to the lateral windows appear to be
of renewed brick. Dentilled cornice below the eaves. Three dormer windows
to the attic with flat roofs, each having sashes of 3 x 2 panes. Left hand
side: two gables, the right hand one being blank and the left hand one
having to its right hand side sash windows to the ground and first floors,
each of 3 x 4 panes. Chimney stacks flush with each gable and each of 3
flues. Right hand side: projecting C19 wing with a 1/2-glazed door and
cambered head. Two-light cambered-headed window to left of this and a 3-
light window at right and a ribbon window to the first floor. To left is a
further outshut, slightly recessed, with a cambered-headed 2-light window
at right and a 1/2-glazed door with cambered head to left of centre. Three-
light cambered-headed window to left of it and to right a sash window of 3
x 4 panes. To the first floor are 3 sash windows, each of 3 x 4 panes.
The attic has a central 2-light dormer with two lateral single-light
dormers.
Interior: not inspected.


Listing NGR: TM2981852121

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.