This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1785 / 52°10'42"N
Longitude: 1.2746 / 1°16'28"E
OS Eastings: 623983
OS Northings: 258418
OS Grid: TM239584
Mapcode National: GBR VMT.K26
Mapcode Global: VHLB9.1HQT
Entry Name: The Moat House
Listing Date: 27 September 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030282
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286573
Location: Monewden, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Monewden
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Monewden St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
The following building shall be added:
THE MOAT HOUSE
TM 25 NW
House, formerly the rectory. Circa late C16 or C17, remodelled and extended in
circa 1847. Gault brick in Flemish bond, plastered timber frame at rear.
Gable-ended roof, slated over front range, and more steeply pitched tile roof over
back range. Brick axial stacks.
Double depth plan. The original house, the long back range with an axial stack
was relegated to service rooms when in circa 1847 the front range was added; the
addition comprises a central stair hall with a principal room either side. Later
outshuts at rear.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window east front. Three 16-pane sashes on first floor,
20-pane French casements on ground floor and central doorway, all with moulded
cast-iron lintels on console brackets, the doorway with rectangular overlight with
glazing bars and panelled and glazed door. Similar cast-iron lintels over sashes
in end walls. Back range is 2 storeys and attic with central gabled dormer and
2 single storey outshuts.
Interior: Most of the mid Cl9 interior features survive including joinery and
marble chimneypieces, those on first floor complete with cast-iron grates. Good
open-well staircase with stick balusters and moulded mahogany handrail up to
column newels. The ceiling of the entrance hall by the staircase is supported on
a cast-iron column. In the back range the central room has exposed chamfered
cross-beam supported on a large jowled post and on the first floor some wall-posts,
wall-plates and tie-beams are exposed.
Note: A drawing for the remodelling of the house (in the possession of the owner)
is signed David Smith-(Hunt?) and dated 1847.
Listing NGR: TM2398358418
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings