History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Alnesbourne Priory Country Club

A Grade II Listed Building in Nacton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0188 / 52°1'7"N

Longitude: 1.193 / 1°11'34"E

OS Eastings: 619184

OS Northings: 240412

OS Grid: TM191404

Mapcode National: GBR VPN.GF6

Mapcode Global: VHLC0.MJK7

Entry Name: Alnesbourne Priory Country Club

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Last Amended: 20 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030424

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286185

Location: Nacton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP10

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Nacton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ipswich All Hallows

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Shotley

Listing Text

TM 14 SE
2/19

NACTON
Alnesbourne Priory Country Club

(Formerly listed as Barn to Priory Farmhouse)

16.3.66

II
Clubhouse, formerly barn. The building incorporates a little medieval
walling of the church of the Priory of Alnesbourne (founded c,1200). The barn
was built in early C17 and converted to a clubhouse in c.1970. Mainly C17 red
brick walling, but the 4th bay is timber-framed and weather-boarded. Against
the south wall is a series of square buttresses of red brick; against the west
gable is another, similar. The raking buttresses on the north side were added
in C19. Areas of medieval random limestone and septaria rubble walling on
north and west sides, including some dressed ashlar stones reused as rubble;
on the north wall is a section of freestone buttressing. Plaintiled roof with
2 tiers of butt-purlins, the upper tier wind-braced. Apart from 3 rows of
ventilation slots in west gable, all openings are C20. Alterations of c.1970
include a pantiled lean-to extension to the south and a pantiled and gabled
porch to the north. The parish church of Hallowtree was alienated to
Alnesbourne Priory in 1301, but the Priory was "ruinous" by 1514. It is the
ruins of the church which are apparently incorporated in the present building;
for this reason it is included despite C20 alterations.


Listing NGR: TM1918440412

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.