History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Elms

A Grade II* Listed Building in Walpole, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3226 / 52°19'21"N

Longitude: 1.4802 / 1°28'48"E

OS Eastings: 637262

OS Northings: 275092

OS Grid: TM372750

Mapcode National: GBR XP0.921

Mapcode Global: VHM72.LWWC

Entry Name: The Elms

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286147

Location: Walpole, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP19

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Walpole

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Walpole St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Walpole

Listing Text

TM 37 NE WALPOLE HALESWORTH ROAD

3/128 The Elms
25.10.51
- II*

Farmhouse. Mid C16 core; the stack has inset panels with a fleur-de-lys and
the date 1613 (originally in terracotta,renewed in cement mid C20): this
refers to the insertion of the present stack and to other alterations
including re-roofing. Timber framed and plastered, plaintiled roof. Along
the facade at first floor level is an early C17 pargetted band of running vine
design. Above this band are later pargetted panels: to the right a good oval
wreath with the date 1708 and initials 'I' (or 'J') and 'C'; to the centre
flowers in a vase; to the left a geometric design based on flower emblems. 2
storeys and attic. 3 cell form. 4 windows, C18-C19 casements, one leaded
window on first floor; lobby entrance with late C19 colourwashed brick porch
and 6-panel door, the upper 2 panels glazed. Mid C20 glazed door to right
hand side. Good internal stack, originally with 4 octagonal flues, one flue
now rebuilt in square form; the flues have moulded brick bases. The beam over
the hall fireplace has a moulded pediment (the lower portion missing) within
which is an incised star and anchor. The parlour has a very fine 3-centre
arched moulded stucco fireplace with vine motifs in the spandrels. Some
exposed framing, some good original windows with roll-moulded mullions;
several original doors; original attic newel stairs.


Listing NGR: TM3726275092

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.