History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brightwell, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0445 / 52°2'40"N

Longitude: 1.2792 / 1°16'44"E

OS Eastings: 624966

OS Northings: 243529

OS Grid: TM249435

Mapcode National: GBR VPD.S7T

Mapcode Global: VHLBW.4W32

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030456

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286167

Location: Brightwell, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP10

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Brightwell

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Brightwell St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Waldringfield

Listing Text

TM 24 SW
3/1

BRIGHTWELL
Church of St. John the Baptist

16.3.66

II*
Church, medieval, with alterations of c.1656 for Thomas Essington of
Brightwell Hall, and further restoration C19. Nave, chancel, west tower and
south porch. Medieval work of plastered flint rubble with limestone
dressings; C17 work in red brick, perhaps once plastered. Mid C19 porch of
gault brick with parapet gables. Plaintiled roofs; the tower roof flat behind
parapets. Several windows of c.1300, some with Y-tracery (some blocked for
monuments); the east window of 3 lights with intersecting tracery. Early C14
south doorway with original boarded door and sanctuary knocker. The tower of
c.1656 was placed upon existing walls at west end of nave, the east face
supported on giant Tuscan columns. Parapets have obelisk corner pinnacles,
clasping buttresses and arched recessed belfry openings. Similar obelisk
pinnacles placed at apex of east gable and at base of east and west end
gables. Fine mid C14 font of limestone, with octagonal bowl having traceried
facets, and moulded stem and base; painted cover of c.1656. Octagonal oak-
panelled mid C17 pulpit. Fine marble wall tablets to Thomas Essington
(d.1651), his sister Anna (d.1660), and to Arthur Barnardiston (d.1734). A
marble C18 floor slab inscribed "The Barnardistons Vault"; another to Thomas
Essington,snr. (d.1656) and his daughter Anna (d.1660). 4 painted C18
escutcheons of the Barnardiston family on the nave wall.


Listing NGR: TM2496643529

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.