History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bucklesham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0315 / 52°1'53"N

Longitude: 1.2707 / 1°16'14"E

OS Eastings: 624454

OS Northings: 242057

OS Grid: TM244420

Mapcode National: GBR VPK.Q29

Mapcode Global: VHLC1.Z65H

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030457

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286168

Location: Bucklesham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP10

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Bucklesham

Built-Up Area: Bucklesham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bucklesham and Foxhall

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Waldringfield

Listing Text

TM 24 SW
3/2

BUCKLESHAM
CHURCH LANE
Church of St. Mary

16.3.66

II*
Church; medieval core, largely rebuilt 1878 by William Smith of London.
Nave, chancel, south aisle and organ chamber; the vestry and south porch added
C20. Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs; an open
timber-framed bell-turret with shingled broach spire at west end. Much of
the north nave wall has coursed flintwork of C12 type. A few C14 features
survive, heavily restored: south doorway and west aisle window, north chancel
doorway and adjacent niche. North doorway and adjacent reset niche of C15;
also the restored east window. North nave and chancel doors with moulded
planks, C15 or C16; south porch door similar, reset from south nave doorway.
Most other features are of 1878, including windows and nave arcade in the C14
manner. Fine C15 limestone font, with sunk panels on bowl, carved with
emblems of evangelists; on the stem are sculptured figures of lions. Included
as Grade II* because of the early nave walling and the exceptionally fine
font.


Listing NGR: TM2445442057

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.