This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3259 / 52°19'33"N
Longitude: 1.4465 / 1°26'47"E
OS Eastings: 634952
OS Northings: 275348
OS Grid: TM349753
Mapcode National: GBR XNZ.0KB
Mapcode Global: VHM72.1S2V
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286044
Location: Cookley, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP19
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Cookley
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Cookley St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 37 NW COOKLEY COOKLEY CORNER
2/25 Church of St. Michael
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1894. Nave, chancel, west tower, south
porch, north vestry. Flint and stone rubble with some coursed work,
especially to the tower;stone dressings; plaintiled roofs. Square
unbuttressed C12 tower with later crenellated parapet with flushwork panels;
2-light west window with Y-tracery, one lancet window on the south face, 2-
light Y-tracery bell chamber openings. Internally the east face of the tower
has a blocked original window. Nave with C12 core and windows in C15 style,
mostly renewed. Good C12 north doorway, now within the vestry: one order of
shafts and a semi-circular arch with chevron moulding. Late C19 timber porch.
2-bay chancel, probably C14: one broad lancet window to the north, the other
windows and the Priest's doorway all much restored or renewed. Good 4-bay
late C15/early C16 hammerbeam nave roof with crenellated wallplate, the wall
posts resting on carved timber corbels in the form of heads. 3-bay arched-
braced chancel roof, probably similar in date to the nave roof. C15 font bowl
with well-preserved carved panels. The nave has 4 good C15 poppyhead benches
with carved ends and backs to the seats, and mutilated arm rests. 2 further
simpler poppyhead benches in chancel. The chancel stalls incorporate
traceried panels, probably from the rood screen. Simple trefoil-headed
piscina and drop-seat sedilia in south sanctuary. Effigy brass of William
Browne (1587), his wife and their 8 children, remounted on west wall of nave.
Graded I for surviving medieval work.
Listing NGR: TM3495275348
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings