History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Botolph

A Grade II* Listed Building in Culpho, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0963 / 52°5'46"N

Longitude: 1.2253 / 1°13'30"E

OS Eastings: 621015

OS Northings: 249124

OS Grid: TM210491

Mapcode National: GBR VNQ.JLF

Mapcode Global: VHLBN.6K3V

Entry Name: Church of St Botolph

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030504

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285963

Location: Culpho, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Culpho

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Culpho St Botolph

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Witnesham

Listing Text

TM 24 NW
4/1

CULPHO
Church of St. Botolph

16. 3. 66

II*
Church, medieval, restored 1884. Nave, chancel, south-west tower/porch.
Flint rubble (the nave partly plastered), limestone dressings. Plaintiled
roofs with parapet gables; the tower has a pyramid plaintiled roof with open
eaves. Chancel of mid C13: south doorway hoodmoulded with corbel faces, and
single-light north and south windows. Early C14 alterations: 3-light windows
with intersecting tracery in north and south walls, Y-tracery 2-light windows
in nave side walls. C14 nave doorway, roll-and-fillet moulded with square
label, original oak door with moulded ribs; inside is a stoup. A C14
trefoiled piscina, with adjacent dropped-cill sedilia cut into earlier south
chancel window. Another piscina for south nave side-altar. Plain C14 south
doorway, blocked by C17/C18 brickwork. Tower, with porch formed within ground
floor, added C15; simple doorway. The upper stage was removed, perhaps
c.1700. Nave roof rebuilt C17, with moulded wall-pieces, otherwise plain (an
archdeacon's report of 1602 describes both nave and chancel as "exceeding
ruinous"). Chancel arch of moulded stucco with flanking red brick walling;
Gothick in form perhaps of late C17 or early C18. Scissor-braced chancel roof
of 1884 with sections of moulded cornice perhaps of C14, reused. Octagonal
C15 limestone font, traceried, with restored C17 oak cover. 3 painted panels
on nave walls, late C18, with Credence, Lord's prayer and Ten Commandments.


Listing NGR: TM2101549124

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.