History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swilland, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1317 / 52°7'54"N

Longitude: 1.1952 / 1°11'42"E

OS Eastings: 618782

OS Northings: 252969

OS Grid: TM187529

Mapcode National: GBR VN9.90Q

Mapcode Global: VHLBF.NPQ6

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030511

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285978

Location: Swilland, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Swilland

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Swilland St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ashbocking

Listing Text

TM 15 SE
1/16

SWILLAND
CHURCH LANE
Church of St. Mary

16.3.66

II*
Church, medieval. Alterations of early C16, early C19 an d 1897. Nave,
chancel, west tower and south porch. Flint rubble walling to nave and chancel
mainly plastered, with dressings of limestone (the east end was rebuilt before
1855, with limestone east window in the C14 style). Concrete plaintiled
roofs. C12 south doorway, the arch of 4 orders with typical restored
enrichment and 2 orders of shafts, of which only the cushion capitals and
bases remain. A 2-light C14 south window has wide inner splays; probably a
C12 window enlarged. 2 early C14 1-light windows and simple blocked north
doorway. 4-bay nave roof of c.1500, of hammerbeam type with arch-braced high
collars and king-posts; the easternmost truss has a moulded rood-beam instead
of hammerbeams (no chancel arch). Ceiled canted roof to chancel. Tower added
early C16; red brick, with diaper patterning in burnt headers and quoins of
limestone. Prominent buttresses and stair turret. Good moulded west doorway
with square label and coat of arms in the spandrels, original oak plank door
with linen fold carving and some enriched battening. Above is a 3-light west
window. The belfry stage was added 1897; prominent, timber-framed and brick-
nogged, gabled roof with dormer belfry windows and copper-clad spire. Timber-
framed gabled porch also of c.1900. Fine well-carved octagonal pulpit of
c.1600. Richly-carved wooden Arms of Queen Anne on south wall. 3 nave
windows have stained glass figures of c.1880. Altar reredos of late C19 with
carved and gilded figures of saints and angels.


Listing NGR: TM1878252969

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.