History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tuddenham Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Tuddenham St. Martin, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0946 / 52°5'40"N

Longitude: 1.2109 / 1°12'39"E

OS Eastings: 620039

OS Northings: 248889

OS Grid: TM200488

Mapcode National: GBR VNQ.LYZ

Mapcode Global: VHLBM.YM05

Entry Name: Tuddenham Hall

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030514

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285987

Location: Tuddenham St. Martin, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Tuddenham St. Martin

Civil Parish/community: Tuddenham St Martin

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Tuddenham St Martin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Witnesham

Listing Text

TM 24 NW TUDDENHAM ST MARTIN GRUNDISBURGH ROAD

4/25 Tuddenham Hall
16.3.66

- II

House, formerly manor-house. Early C17 with major alterations of 1889 and
1897; probably for John Sicklemore (d.1644). 2 storeys and attics. L-plan
with C19 additions to rear. Red brick with bands at 1st and attic floor
levels. C17 Flemish parapet gable at right-hand end has a hood-moulded C19
recess with richly carved achievement in sandstone; another parapet gable at
the cross-wing to left was rebuilt C19. Plaintiled roofs with mainly C19
external chimneys of red brick; each stack has a moulded plinth and a set of 3
octagonal shafts with star-tops. Mainly late C19 windows with segmental heads
of gauged red brick, and rusticated reveals; wooden mullions and transomes. A
number of C19 bay windows of 1 and 2 storeys, some with moulded sandstone
dressings, some having parapets with brick balustrading. Fine early C17 1-
storey entrance porch of red brick; Flemish parapet gable with limestone ball
finials, a central niche in the gable containing a limestone statue of a
woodwose. Round-headed doorway with flanking brick pilasters supporting a
cornice; pair of C19 oak-framed doors with half-glazing. A parlour extension
to rear, with a date-cartouche "1889", is in the C17 manner; another extension
to the service wing is dated 1897. A parlour fireplace has a richly-carved
surround and overmantel of early C17, restored C19. Another room has complete
but restored mid C17 oak wainscotting, taken from Cockfield Hall, Witnesham in
c.1890.


Listing NGR: TM2003948889

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.