History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moat Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Parham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1893 / 52°11'21"N

Longitude: 1.3812 / 1°22'52"E

OS Eastings: 631210

OS Northings: 259950

OS Grid: TM312599

Mapcode National: GBR WP3.N0R

Mapcode Global: VHLBB.W7KJ

Entry Name: Moat Hall

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 19 November 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030527

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285913

Location: Parham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Parham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Parham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Parham

Listing Text

TM 35 NW PARHAM

11/141 Moat Hall
(previously
25.10.51 listed as
Parham Moat
Hall)

GV II*


Former manor house, now a farmhouse. Early C16, probably for Sir
Christopher Willoughby, father of the first Baron Willoughby;
south wing probably late C16/early C17. The main range occupies
the north west corner of the moated site, rising directly from
the moat on 2 sides. Mainly red brick, some timber framing,
plaintiled roof. 2 storeys. North facade with 2 full height
canted bays and an external stack to the right hand side: this
facade was probably symmetrical, the remaining bay and stack to
the east now demolished. Brickwork with diapering in dark
headers to bays and stack; each bay has 2-light and 3-light brick
mullion windows, one tier to the ground floor, 2 tiers to the
first floor divided by a transom; the lights had arched and
cusped heads,and all have now been blocked or replaced by later
casements; the bays have later plastered gables. Stack with the
lower portion of 2 octagonal flues with a trefoil-headed blank
arch to each face; upper part of stack rebuilt. To the west are
2 gables, the larger one with exposed timbering with brick
nogging and an overhanging first floor; the original windows have
gone but their moulded heads remain. The smaller gable has an
original brick mullion window to ground floor, the original first
floor opening blocked. To the south is a canted and gabled
staircase turret, one original brick mullion window at first
floor level and an external stack with 3 coupled flues with star
caps. South Wing timber framed and plastered, plaintiled roof.
2 storeys and attic. Various casement windows, square and modern
diamond leaded glass, one flat-roofed dormer, boarded half door,
internal stack. The interior of the main range is considerably
altered; much re-used C16-C17 panelling on first floor. Country
Life 15.5.1909, pp.702-7. Sandon, Suffolk Houses, 1977, pp.281-3.


Listing NGR: TM3121059950

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.