History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brandeston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2048 / 52°12'17"N

Longitude: 1.2746 / 1°16'28"E

OS Eastings: 623848

OS Northings: 261342

OS Grid: TM238613

Mapcode National: GBR VMF.R20

Mapcode Global: VHLB3.1VP5

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030597

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285774

Location: Brandeston, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Brandeston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Brandeston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Kettleburgh

Listing Text

TM 26 SE BRANDESTON EARL SOHAM
ROAD

2/2 The Priory
25.10.51
11*

Farmhouse. Dated 1586 on tie beam on left hand gable end (facing
road); gabled extension set forward of main range has tie beam
inscribed 'H1648ES' for Henry and Elizabeth Stebbing; C20
extension at right hand end. Timber framed and plastered,
plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. A long main range with
various gabled extensions, 2 to the front and 2 (including
staircase gable) to the rear; all the gables have carved tie
beams and most have pierced drop finials. Various casement
windows with diamond and square leaded glass; to either side of
the porch at first floor level are 2 5-light canted windows with
moulded heads and sills. C17 gabled entrance porch with carved
tie beam, pierced drop finials and turned balusters to the side
openings; modern panelled door in C17 style. 2 good internal
stacks each with 4 detached octagonal flues with moulded bases
and linked caps. Very fine interior with closely-spaced exposed
timbering throughout; at the earlier end there are roll-moulded
joists with enriched stop chamfers; original newel stairs in
rear extension; some fine internal doors; first floor fireplace
with moulded arch.


Listing NGR: TM2384861342

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.