History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holy Trinity Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Middleton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2545 / 52°15'16"N

Longitude: 1.5589 / 1°33'32"E

OS Eastings: 643000

OS Northings: 267777

OS Grid: TM430677

Mapcode National: GBR XPW.QXS

Mapcode Global: VHM7H.ZL0L

Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030647

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285686

Location: Middleton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Middleton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Middleton cum Fordley Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Middleton

Listing Text

TM 46 NW MIDDLETON THE STREET

(east side)
6/91 Holy Trinity
Church
7.12.66 (Previously listed
II* under Middleton)
GV

Parish church. Medieval, restored mid C19, considerably damaged
by fire 1955. Nave and chancel (under one roof), west tower,
south porch. Random flint rubble, the nave and chancel mostly
re-faced mid C20; plaintiled roof. C15 square tower, 4 stages
and crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses to west face only;
flushwork to buttresses and parapet; 2-light west window with Y
tracery, probably C19; 2-light bell chamber openings with simple
wooden tracery; recessed needle spire clad with lead. Nave with
2 3-light C15 windows, other windows C19 restorations or renewals
in C15 style; good C12 south doorway with 2 orders of colonnettes,
scalloped capitals, and arch with roll and chevron moulding,
stoup to right hand side; mid C18 porch with crenellated parapet.
Chancel with good 4-light east window of c.1300, with re-used C12
billets round arch head; other windows and Priest's doorway C19
restorations or renewals. Splay of north west chancel window
with C12 engaged shafting and re-used chevron moulding to pointed
arch head; south west chancel window has smaller remains of C12
engaged shafting. C15 carved octagonal font with inscription to
base; nave north wall with part of C15 fresco of St. Christopher
and Royal Arms of George III in iron. 2 nave window splays with
niches, one trefoil-headed; altered C12 angle piscina in south
chancel. North chancel with wall monument to Rev. Thomas Meadows
(d.1742); on either side are 2 smaller monuments to his wives.
Portrait brass to Anthony Pettow (d.1610), now re-mounted at west
end of nave. Graded II* for surviving medieval work.


Listing NGR: TM4300067777

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.