History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Congregational Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rendham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2303 / 52°13'48"N

Longitude: 1.4368 / 1°26'12"E

OS Eastings: 634790

OS Northings: 264685

OS Grid: TM347646

Mapcode National: GBR WNS.41X

Mapcode Global: VHM7M.V6DM

Entry Name: Congregational Chapel

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030653

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285699

Location: Rendham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Rendham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Rendham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Rendham

Listing Text

In the entry for:
TM 36SW 11/104 RENDHAM WISDOM HILL
7.12.66
Congregational Chapel
II
The item shall be upgraded to grade II* and the description shall be amended to read
as follows:-

Former chapel, disused since 1979. Stone on facade records 'Erected 1750 Enlarged 1834';
Sunday School and vestry added at rear late C19. Red brick, plaintiled roof, 2 storeys.
Symmetrical facade (1834): 3 window range, sashes with glazing bars in flush frames,
flat brick arches to ground floor, cambered arches to first floor; matching doorways to
either side, each with 6-panel raised and fielded door and rectangular fanlight with
semi-circular and radiating glazing bars. 3-bay return fronts, the original 2 rear bays
with brick band at first floor level; 2 semi-circular headed "preaching" windows to
rear wall. Double span hipped roof extended forwards over 1834 extension. Interior
intact: gallery with full entablature and cornice on 3 sides supported on Roman Doric
wooden columns painted to resemble marble, plain rectangular piers at the angles with
circular fluted columns between; good set of box pews, some with raised and fielded
panels; pulpit probably mid C18.

------------------------------------

TM 36 SW RENDHAM WISDOM HILL

11/104 Congregational Chapel
7.12.66
II

Former chapel, disused since 1979. Stone on facade records 'Erected 1750
Enlarged 1834'; Sunday School and vestry added at rear late C19. Red brick,
plaintiled roof. 2 storeys. Symmetrical facade (1834): 3 window range,
sashes with glazing bars in flush frames, flat brick arches to ground floor,
cambered arches to first floor; matching doorways to either side, each with 6-
panel raised and fielded door and rectangular fanlight with semi-circular and
radiating glazing bars. 3-bay return fronts, the original 2 rear bays with
brick band at first floor level; 2 semi-circular headed windows to rear wall.
Double span hipped roof extended forwards over 1834 extension. Interior
intact: gallery on 3 sides supported on wooden columns painted to resemble
marble, plain rectangular columns at the angles with circular fluted columns
between; good set of box pews, some with raised and fielded panels; pulpit
probably late C19.


Listing NGR: TM3479064685

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.