History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High Lodge (Including Screen Walling to Either Side)

A Grade II Listed Building in Blythburgh, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.331 / 52°19'51"N

Longitude: 1.5977 / 1°35'51"E

OS Eastings: 645224

OS Northings: 276416

OS Grid: TM452764

Mapcode National: GBR YWQ.W6S

Mapcode Global: VHM74.NN0X

Entry Name: High Lodge (Including Screen Walling to Either Side)

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 16 January 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030703

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285518

Location: Blythburgh, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Blythburgh

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Blythburgh Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Blythburgh

Listing Text

TM 47 NE BLYTHBURGH

2/2 High Lodge (including
screen walling to either
side)
25.10.51 (Formerly listed as High Lodge
- II Henham Hall)


Lodge to Henham Hall. Originally c.1793 by James Wyatt; considerably rebuilt
and enlarged c.1865 by Edward Barrie. White brick with stone dressings,
pantiled roof. Symmetrical main block of 2 storeys; the centre section
containing the archway is set forward, with a room over. Main block with
rusticated quoins, moulded brick string course at first floor level, brick band
and moulded stone cornice to eaves; one window range to each side of archway:
deeply inset large pane sashes with broad stone surrounds. Semi-circular
headed archway, ornamental keystone, moulded brick surround to arch head,
roundels to either side; wrought iron gate. Room above archway with 3 inset
semi-circular headed sash windows, the arches with stone surrounds and raised
keys; 2 stone string courses and moulded stone cornice. 2 matching stacks,
shallow pyramidal roof with tall spike finial. To either side of the gateway
is a length of curved screen walling, terminating in a shorter straight
section. Piers to curved section surmounted by cast iron pyramids; straight
sections with 2 larger piers surmounted by stone spheres; pierced stonework to
upper part of walling.


Listing NGR: TM4522476416

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.