History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gables william's Store

A Grade II Listed Building in Grundisburgh, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1126 / 52°6'45"N

Longitude: 1.2455 / 1°14'43"E

OS Eastings: 622318

OS Northings: 251002

OS Grid: TM223510

Mapcode National: GBR VNK.HPK

Mapcode Global: VHLBN.J5S9

Entry Name: The Gables william's Store

Listing Date: 31 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030719

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285449

Location: Grundisburgh, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Grundisburgh

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Grundisburgh St Mary Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Debach

Listing Text

GRUNDISBURGH THE GREEN
TM 25 SW
(West side)
2/84
The Gables (William's
Store)
GV II
House and shop. C16 range with C17 range and further added range and shop
front of c.1870. Timber-framed with colourwashed render to the C16
portion. Timber-framed with a red brick skin covered by a further skin of
C19 brick to the C17 portion and yellow brick with red brick dressings to
the late C19 portion. Lead, slate and plain tile roof. Two storeys: L-
shaped plan of which the downstroke is the C16 wing to which the double
pile arrangement of C17 and C19 ranges have been added as a cross-stroke
with a further late C19 cross-axial wing to their end. Garden front: to
right the gable end of the 1870s wing, to the left of this the C17 wing,
refaced in the C19 and to far left the C16 wing. The gable ends are
similar, of yellow brick and having pilaster buttresses to their edges and
at centre ending in ball finials, a red-brick band at the base of the
gables and red brick coping with stepped patterns of triangular blocks.
The left hand wing has a ground floor sash window of 4 x 4 panes with
chamfered lintel. Above this is a first floor tripartite sash window also
with chamfered lintel. The left hand gable end has a doorway at right of 6
raised and fielded panels with brick pilasters at either side with large-
scale egg and dart frieze. To left of this is a tripartite sash window
with chamfered lintels. Tripartite sash window to the first floor. To left
of this the C16 wing has C20 fenestration. To the far right is a portion
of white brick walling enclosing the base of a massive chimney stack which
is cross axial and has a rectangular red-brick top with two diamond-shaped
flues. To left of this are a sash window of 2 x 2 panes at right and a
doorway at left of this - with a stable door, and single-light casement at
left of this and a 4-light casement at left. To the first floor are three
2-light windows. The left hand end of this wing has a hipped roof and a
central single-flue chimney stack which diminishes as it rises. To left of
this the recessed rear of the C17 wing has a single-storey porch in the re-
entrant angle with a round arch and battlemented parapet. Similarly
modeled bay window at left of this with a clasping buttress to the left
hand corner with a ball finial. To the ridge of this part at far left is a
chimney stack of 2 flues, of c.1870, with a 6-panel door, the upper two
glazed and a glazed surround. The rear of the C16 wing has two C20 ground
floor windows of 2 and 3 lights and two C19 windows to the first floor also
of 2 and 3 lights. Road front: all of c.1870. Projecting gabled wing at
right with a shop window of 2 lights to the ground floor and a tripartite
first floor window above this with entwined initials S A and J to a stone
in the gable. To left of this is a long glazed shop front with plate glass
windows divided by moulded mullions and double doors at left and a single
door at right. To the first floor is a central blocked window and at
either side of this are 2-light casement windows.

Interior: Massive chamfered ceiling beams with joists to the ground floor
rooms in both the C16 and C17 ranges with close studding to the walls with
angle braces and jowled wall posts. Brick chimney to the C16 range
remodelled and to the C17 range with a winder staircase leading from the
first floor to the attic. Wide oak floorboards to the first floor and
pament tiles to the ground floor kitchen and corridor. The ceilings in the
C17 range appear to have been raised in the C19.


Listing NGR: TM2231851002

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.