History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Boyton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0721 / 52°4'19"N

Longitude: 1.4687 / 1°28'7"E

OS Eastings: 637813

OS Northings: 247207

OS Grid: TM378472

Mapcode National: GBR XS3.04P

Mapcode Global: VHM8F.D5TV

Entry Name: The Cottage

Listing Date: 31 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030737

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285395

Location: Boyton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP12

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Boyton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Boyton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Butley

Listing Text

BOYTON THE STREET
TM 34 NE
(North Side)
7/32 The Cottage
G.V. II
House, formerly 4 cottages and parish reading room. Early C18 with C19
additions. Red Flemish bond brick with fired headers and timber framed
with rendered infill and a plain tile roof (probably originally thatched).
Single-storey with attic. Road front: originally divided into 4 cottages,
each pair sharing a porchway. To right of centre are 3 bays which have a
central doorway with a C20 door having cambered head and glazing at its
top. This was originally an open porch of triangular plan which had 2
inner doors but no outer door. To right of this is a C19 projecting bay
window with lean-to roof and a central 2-light cambered-headed window. To
left of this is a C20 replacement window of 3x3 sash panes. The
arrangement at left was originally similar but the central doorway has now
been removed and partially blocked and a casement window of 3x3 panes has
been inserted. A further square C19 bay has been added at left, similar to
that at far right. At either side of the centre are casement windows of
3x3 panes with cambered heads. The lower walling on this front has fired
headers, but the walling above the level of the window heads does not, and
may be of a later date. To the first floor are 4 gabled dormer windows,
all of C19 date with 2-light casement windows and decorated bargeboards.
To the ridge are C19 axial chimney-stacks at centre, left and right, each
of 2 flues with square stacks supporting diamond-section flues. The gabled
ends have brick kneelers with moulded brick coping. Rear: central C20 two-
storey gabled wing with moulded brick kneelers. Single-storey outshuts to
either side of this and at far right a projecting single-storey gabled wing
which served, from c.1880-c.1920, as the parish reading room and has now
been sub-divided to form a separate flat.

Interior: chamfered ceiling beams to the ground floor rooms. Studding with
bracing to the rear wall and wall plate showing to the first floor
corridor.


Listing NGR: TM3781347207

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.