This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0917 / 52°5'30"N
Longitude: 1.4653 / 1°27'54"E
OS Eastings: 637474
OS Northings: 249368
OS Grid: TM374493
Mapcode National: GBR XRP.Z45
Mapcode Global: VHM87.BPZD
Entry Name: Butley Abbey and Priory Gate House
Listing Date: 16 March 1966
Last Amended: 2 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030850
English Heritage Legacy ID: 285145
Location: Butley, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP12
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Butley
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Butley St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 34 NE BUTLEY BUTLEY PRIORY
5/2 Butley Abbey & Priory Gate
(Formerly listed as Butley Abbey
GV I Gatehouse under General)
Mansion former gatehouse to Butley Abbey. Early C14. Converted to residential
use c.1734. Restored again in 1926 by E.D. Caroe. Stone and knapped flint with
stone quoins and dressings. Roof raised in red brick to continuous springing:
slated. Two storeys. The main gabled carriageway runs north-south. The north
front is flanked by two stages of the original buttressed towers which project
forward. The south gabled front projects beyond the rear rooms of the towers.
The north front has 2 sham windows in Decorated tracery either side of a
similar glazed window. The sham windows are filled with flushwork. Below the
windows is an armorial panel of thirty-five shields in five rows. The north
towers each have a sham Decorated window above which is a straight headed
window with 3 ogee headed lights. The original carriageway entrance has a
depressed moulded pointed arch on stone ashlar jambs. To the left is a
pedestrian entrance with pointed arch: both entrances are filled with timber
studs, mullion windows and red herringbone brick infill. The south front has
similar sham windows to those of the north and also a carriageway doorway of
similar style with modern entrance door. The left and right hand rooms behind
the towers have C18 sash windows in flush frames with glazing bars and gauged
brick arches and red brick jambs Inside the main carriageway the ceiling is
vaulted with stone ribs and stone infill; the smaller rooms either side are
also vaulted with brick infill in domed form. There is also a fine Georgian
staircase and some Elizabethan panelling. The Abbey was founded in 1171 by
Ranulph de Glanville, Justiciar of Henry II and the gatehouse is considered
"one of the most ambitious and interesting buildings of the C14 in Suffolk". N.
Pevsner (see The Buildings of England, Suffolk volume). The whole complex of
the Abbey and Priory is fully documented and described in Journal of the Royal
Archaeological Institute of Gt. Britain and Ireland, 1934, by Messrs. J.L.N.
Meyers and J.B. Ward Perkins.
Listing NGR: TM3747449368
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings