History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Benhall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2039 / 52°12'14"N

Longitude: 1.4701 / 1°28'12"E

OS Eastings: 637209

OS Northings: 261861

OS Grid: TM372618

Mapcode National: GBR XQC.SL6

Mapcode Global: VHM7N.FVKW

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030902

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285063

Location: Benhall, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Benhall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Benhall St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Saxmundham

Listing Text

TM 36 SE BENHALL

2/2 Church of St Mary
7.12.66

II*

Parish church. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north transept and
north vestry. Random flint with stone dressings; slated roof to nave and lead
roof to chancel. C15 tower, unbuttressed: 2 light bell chamber openings to each
face with a further cinquefoil-headed bell chamber opening to west; crenellated
parapet with flushwork decoration; string course to base of parapet with stone
carvings at intervals; west doorway with original plank door, hood mould with carved
shields as label stops. Nave and chancel largely C15, considerably restored C19
with renewed windows, although east window probably largely original. Priest's
doorway renewed, with C19 shallow gabled porch. C12 south door to nave with one
order of colonettes and chevron moulding to front and soffit of arch, considerably
restored. C15 south porch: doorway arch decorated with'fleurons; empty niche above
door. North transept and vestry are mid C19 additions in the Perpendicular style,
the vestry with an east window to match that of the chancel. Interior with a good
set of C19 box pews, C17 octagonal pulpit, plain C19 font, C19 west gallery. Arms
of George III above south nave door. The east window contains 4 coloured armorial
shields. Brasses to Edward Duke and Dorothy his wife (1598) and to Ambrose Duke
and Elizabeth his ife (1610), both in chancel floor. Good hanging monument on
north chancel wall to Sir Edward Duke (d. 1732) and others of his family: large
inscribed plate flanked by marble columns and supported on consoles; pedimented top
with 2 putti. Arched recess within north chancel wall contains memorial tablets
to Edmund Holland (d.1884) and Edward Holland (d.1829). South transept now
screened by organ; the chapel was dedicated in 1978. Graded II" for interior
features.


Listing NGR: TM3720961861

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.