History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hemley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0324 / 52°1'56"N

Longitude: 1.3306 / 1°19'50"E

OS Eastings: 628552

OS Northings: 242352

OS Grid: TM285423

Mapcode National: GBR WQZ.F7G

Mapcode Global: VHLC3.05SR

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285028

Location: Hemley, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP12

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Hemley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hemley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Hemley

Listing Text

TM 24 SE HEMLEY CHURCH LANE


3/1 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
16.3.66

II*


Parish Church. Tower late C15; original nave and chancel C14, were totally
rebuilt c.1889 by F. Barnes reusing the old materials. The walls are of rubble
and portland cement faced externally with flint, stone and septaria; the south
porch is of oak. Nave chancel and porch roofed with plain tiles. The tower is
of red brick with diamond diaper pattern of dark headers; also diagonal stepped
buttresses to west front and right angled buttresses at rear. On the south
side of the tower the bell chamber stair are expressed by a projecting
enclosure. The south doorway is C14 with moulded ogee arch. The nave has a
king post roof and the chancel a wagon roof. Both are part of the 1889
rebuilding. The font c.C13-C14 has square bowl supported on a central pillar
and 4 pillars at the corners on a cushion shaped base. There is a Jacobean
communion table. The stained glass window was rescued from the earlier church
and rebuilt into the south wall of the chancel. On the north wall of the nave
there is the Royal Arms of George III. Grade II* for tower.

Listing NGR: TM2855242352

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.