This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6924 / 52°41'32"N
Longitude: -2.5446 / 2°32'40"W
OS Eastings: 363290
OS Northings: 310668
OS Grid: SJ632106
Mapcode National: GBR BT.3D80
Mapcode Global: WH9D1.WLG8
Entry Name: Milepost Approximately 700 Yards South South West of Orleton Hall
Listing Date: 8 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 362503
Location: Wrockwardine, Telford and Wrekin, TF6
County: Telford and Wrekin
Civil Parish: Wrockwardine
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Wrockwardine St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WROCKWARDINE WATLING STREET
5362 Holyhead Road
Mile Post approximately
700 yds south-south-west
of Orleton Hall
SJ 61SW 27/671
Circa 1815-19. Cast iron with splayed sides and top inscribed in relief:- London 141,
Shifnal 8 and Salop 9 m 6 fur.
In 1815 the Holyhead Road Commission authorized Thomas Telford to improve the
Holyhead Road from London. The period of improvement was 1815-35 but this section
from Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton was constructed before 1819 by Henry Williams,
contractor. The cast iron mile post was possibly made by the Coalbrookdale Company
as were others q.v. Holyhead Road, Wellington and Watling Street, Wellington.
Listing NGR: SJ6329010668
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings