This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0944 / 52°5'39"N
Longitude: 1.3121 / 1°18'43"E
OS Eastings: 626972
OS Northings: 249183
OS Grid: TM269491
Mapcode National: GBR WQ5.NJW
Mapcode Global: VHLBP.PMJ9
Entry Name: 11, Theatre Street
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Last Amended: 20 December 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284829
Location: Woodbridge, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP12
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Woodbridge
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Woodbridge St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1. THEATRE STREET
1852 (South Side)
TM 2649 2/242 25.1.51.
C16, original residence of Free School founded 1577-85, but prior to
that may have been a Guildhall. There is a record that in 1595, the
Master's name was Parklyfe, and in the admission roll of 1589 of
Gonville and Caius, Cambridge the name of Charles Reeve of Monewden
aged 15, from Woodbridge School is mentioned. The money for the
endowment of the school was provided by Thomas Annot of Lowestoft.
The property was lost to Woodbridge in 1607, but restored to the town
in 1668 for use as a workhouse. The building now consists of 2 storeys
and attic with gable window, boarded up, on right hand at 1st floor,
overhanging storey and with carriageway through. Originally half
timbered, now plastered with one carved corner post and four pendent
4-centre arches, carved bressumer. 3 windows, sash in flush frames,
and 1 casement window. Two 4-panel doors. NMR photo.
Nos 7 to 13 ( odd) form a group.
Listing NGR: TM2697249183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings