This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2451 / 52°14'42"N
Longitude: 0.7136 / 0°42'49"E
OS Eastings: 585357
OS Northings: 264240
OS Grid: TL853642
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.77S
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.BT3R
Entry Name: The Suffolk Hotel
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031144
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466685
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St. Edmunds
Civil Parish/community: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
639-1/14/221 (East side)
The Suffolk Hotel
Formerly known as: The Greyhound Inn BUTTERMARKET.
Hotel, formerly The Greyhound Inn, renamed The Suffolk in the
C19. Rebuilt on an older site in the early C17; front of c1830
with the ground storey remodelled c1873, when a wide carriage
entrance through the building was infilled and the ground
storey windows replaced. Basically timber-framed; rendered
front; slate roof with a paired modillion eaves soffit and a
richly decorated plaster frieze below it.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 8 window range: sashes in
flush cased frames, those on the 1st storey without
glazing-bars; 9-pane to the 2nd storey. A moulded stucco band
with acanthus-leaf decoration runs below the 2nd-storey
windows. Below the 1st-storey windows a continuous row of
cast-iron guard rails. 10 windows and 2 doors to the ground
storey, arranged 4:1:3:1:3. The windows are set into a
semicircular-headed arcade with enriched keystones. Between
the windows are polished pink granite columns, added in 1873,
with ornate 'Romanesquoid' capitals. 6 Corinthian pilasters
spaced across the front have the capitals, variously
ornamented with acanthus leaves, vine leaves and grapes,
picked out in bright colours.
INTERIOR: the extensive cellars have no readily identifiable
medieval features. Considerable modernising to interior.
(BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 149).
Listing NGR: TL8535764240
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings