History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Rushbrooke with Rougham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2284 / 52°13'42"N

Longitude: 0.7982 / 0°47'53"E

OS Eastings: 591200

OS Northings: 262596

OS Grid: TL912625

Mapcode National: GBR RGM.BM1

Mapcode Global: VHKDC.S8B2

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031163

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284452

Location: Rushbrooke with Rougham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Rushbrooke with Rougham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Rougham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Thurston

Listing Text

TL 96 SW ROUGHAM

5/31 Church of St. Mary
-
14.7.55
I

Parish church. C14 and C15. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south
porch and west tower. In random flint with freestone dressings; plaintiled
roofs. A small lean-to mid-C19 vestry on the north side of the chancel, and a
high late C19 choir vestry with crenellated flat roof on the south side. The
roofs of the nave and both aisles are embattled: the north aisle has the
merlons pierced with quatrefoils, the remainder have enriched lozenges. 3-
light windows in Perpendicular style to north aisle, and 2-light windows with
flamboyant tracery at the east end of both aisles. 3 buttresses bear
inscriptions, partly obliterated, and the date 1514: one reads 'We pray you to
remember us that causyde ye yle to be made thus', and the other 'DNS JOHES
SYMTH LE CURATOR ISTIUS ECCLESIAE WILMS..' The south aisle has cusped 3-
light windows without tracery and one lancet at the west end. 2 blocked
arches low down in the wall, interrupted by a later buttress. 4 2-light
windows to clerestorey without tracery. The chancel has similar 2-light
windows to north and south, and a 5-light east window with reticulated
tracery. Angle buttresses at the east end. A fine early C14 south porch with
a plain freestone parapet, moulded copings, and an ornate cross to the apex of
the gable. The 3-light side openings are divided by circular shafts with
ornate ogee-arched heads. The coved open timber roof with moulded main beam
is dated 1632. C14 south doorway with continuous mouldings. The splendid
west tower has traces of external render, a stepped base, diagonal
buttresses, and 4 stages of varying height. A 3-light window without tracery
to each face of the top stage. Stepped battlemented top, with crocketed
pinnacles at the angles, decorated with flushwork panels bearing inscriptions
and devices: on the south face, 'pray for ye sowle of John Tillot', and the
initials T and D; on the north face, 'Drury', and on the east the entwined MR
of the Virgin Mary and her emblem of a pot of lilies. Below the parapet is a
frieze of tracery motifs infilled with flushwork. Fine interior to nave. A
single hammer-beam roof in 10 slightly irregular bays, with the trusses spaced
to enclose the clerestory windows. The short hammer-posts extend upwards to
form arched braces to the high collars. The hammer-beams are recumbent
headless figures bearing various shields and devices. The supporting arched
braces have carved spandrels and capitals, with canopied niches below
containing standing figures. All the roof components are moulded, and a frieze
in 3 stages covers the wallplate, decorated with quatrefoils and cresting.
Roll-mouldings to the main cross-beams of the aisle roofs, with carved bosses
at the intersections and a cornice with florets and a pierced cresting. C14
arcades in 4 bays to both aisles with piers formed of 4 main shafts and 4
subsidiary shafts in the diagonals; a similar treatment to the high chancel
arch. Short spur walls link the arcades to the chancel: on the north an empty
ogee-headed niche with cusping set back, and on the south, a small blocked
pointed doorway to the rood-loft with continuous mouldings. Early C14 cusped
piscinae to both aisles. Remains of medieval glass in the east window of the
north aisle, and some resited ornate Jacobean panelling. Octagonal font, with
traceried panels to the bowl. A fine set of C15 benches with traceried ends
and poppyheads, all different. The figures on the arms have been cut off.
The backs have carved quatrefoils and a cresting. 8 pairs in the nave are
original, the remainder good copies. Simpler benches in the aisles, with
moulded ends and poppyheads, have been converted into low box-pews. Chancel
Victorianised, with renewed scissor-braced roof; a much-restored sedilia and
piscina on the south wall. The church contains a large brass to Sir Roger
Drury and his wife, d.1405, and a number of C17 marble wall tablets, one to
Sir Robert Drury and his wife, 1621. 2 worn early C18 black ledger slabs are
set into the floor of the nave. C15 wills indicate that the medieval
dedication of the church was to St. John.


Listing NGR: TL9120062596

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Rougham War Memorial
    Rushbrooke with Rougham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP30
  • II Moat Farmhouse
    Rushbrooke with Rougham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP30
  • II The Cottage
    Rushbrooke with Rougham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP30
  • II Oak Farmhouse
    Rushbrooke with Rougham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP30
  • II Oak Farm Cottage
    Rushbrooke with Rougham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP30
  • II The Chantry
    Rushbrooke with Rougham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP30
  • II Smithy Cottage
    Rushbrooke with Rougham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP30
  • II Rougham House
    Rushbrooke with Rougham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP30

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.