History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hepworth, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3358 / 52°20'8"N

Longitude: 0.9158 / 0°54'56"E

OS Eastings: 598748

OS Northings: 274854

OS Grid: TL987748

Mapcode National: GBR SGR.JBQ

Mapcode Global: VHKCV.TKH8

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031214

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284267

Location: Hepworth, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP22

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Hepworth

Built-Up Area: Hepworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hepworth St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Hepworth

Listing Text

TL 97 SE HEPWORTH CHURCH LANE

3/4 Church of St. Peter
14.7.55

II*


Parish church. C13 and later: seriously damaged by fire in 1898, and
extensively rebuilt by J.S. Corder of Ipswich. Nave, chancel, south porch and
west tower, all in rubble flint, partly covered with old render. Plaintiled
roofs. 2-light windows in Perpendicular style to nave; C14 windows in
Decorated style to chancel; in the south wall, a traceried low-side window,
and a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. South porch, largely
reconstructed, contains fragments of an earlier Norman church, and the open
roof has some reused C16 moulded timbers. An empty niche with trefoil head
above the south door. Plain tower with large diagonal buttresses, partly
faced with panels of large black knapped flints. Plain parapet, with conical
roof rising above it. Plain west doorway with hood mould over. A small
quatrefoil window to each face of the middle stage, and a window with semi-
circular arched head to each face of the top stage. Across the upper part of
the west face is the date 1677 in large cast iron figures: this may well be
the date of the top stage windows. The lower part of the tower and the
western buttresses have been extensively tied together with ironwork: an entry
in the Diary of Thomas King of Thelnetham records: 'Hepworth Steeple screwed
together with irons by Mr. Bloomfield of Thelnetham, November 1828'. The
interior fittings, including the double hammer-beam roof, date from the post-
fire restoration of 1899. Beside the pulpit is the blocked door to the former
rood stairs, and on the south wall of the nave the remains of a much-damaged
piscina with cusped head. 6 C15 poppy-head bench ends survive in the chancel.
The one outstanding feature of the church is the late C14 pinnacled font
cover, octagonal, and 12ft 6 inches high. The ornate carving is unusual, and
much-damaged, in 3 tiers, with a 3-tier pinnacle above; the lowest stage has a
miniature building on each face, with windows and doorways in which little
figures stand.


Listing NGR: TL9874874854

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.