History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Foundry House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3239 / 52°19'26"N

Longitude: 0.8853 / 0°53'7"E

OS Eastings: 596725

OS Northings: 273456

OS Grid: TL967734

Mapcode National: GBR SGX.8N6

Mapcode Global: VHKCV.9VCB

Entry Name: Foundry House

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Last Amended: 27 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031228

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284296

Location: Stanton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Stanton

Built-Up Area: Stanton (St. Edmundsbury)

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stanton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Hepworth

Listing Text

TL 97 SE STANTON BURY ROAD (THE WALKS)

3/33 Foundry House
14.7.55 (Formerly listed as Premises
120 yards East of Manor
Farmhouse)
GV II


House, now office. Dated 1576 in a wooden panel over the door, with the
unidentified initials ISAAN. 2 storeys. 3-cell plan, with internal chimney-
stack and cross-entry: 5 bays. Timber-framed and rendered with C20 plaintiled
roof. A jetty with small plain supporting brackets along the south side. The
internal chimney-stack has a rebuilt shaft with saw-tooth decoration, and a
C19 external stack at the east end has a small single-storey extension beyond
it, terminating in a lean-to with pantiled roof. 2 3-light and 1 2-light
casement window to ground storey and 3 similar 2-light windows to upper
storey, all with a single horizontal bar to lights. 2 doors. The 2-bay
centre room, which contained the entry, has an exposed timber ceiling: double
roll-mouldings to the main cross-beams, single roll-moulding to the joists. A
single service room at the east end, initially unheated, and a parlour on the
west, both with chamfered main beams visible. An open fireplace in the
parlour, with a timber lintel and stone jambs. Little framing visible on
upper floor, and no access to roof. The attic stairs were blocked some years
ago.


Listing NGR: TL9672573456

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.