History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Walls and Gates to Number 1 Garden Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Ampton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3078 / 52°18'28"N

Longitude: 0.7355 / 0°44'7"E

OS Eastings: 586585

OS Northings: 271266

OS Grid: TL865712

Mapcode National: GBR RFL.6SN

Mapcode Global: VHKCY.P8P5

Entry Name: Boundary Walls and Gates to Number 1 Garden Cottage

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Last Amended: 27 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031232

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284204

Location: Ampton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Ampton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ingham St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ingham

Listing Text

TL 87 SE AMPTON THE STREET

2/8 Boundary Walls and Gates to
14.7.55 No.1. Garden Cottage.
(Formerly listed with Home
GV II Farmhouse as boundary wall
and entrance gateway)

Garden Wall, gateway and gate. C18. Part kidney flints, part black knapped
flints, freestone and white brick. Heavily rusticated stone archway with semi-
circular head, Roman Doric pilasters and pediment, and frieze inscribed 'ET
VOLUPTATI PLURIMUM ET SALUTI'. This led to the kitchen gardens of the Hall.
(cf. 'Excursions through the County of Suffolk, 1819. p.90). Wrought iron
ornamental gate with semi-circular head similar to and opposite, an old door in
the garden wall of Ampton Hall. To each side of the archway, a short stretch
of high wall in kidney flints flanked by 2 rusticated white brick piers
surmounted by large stone ball finials. On the north side, a further short
stretch of wall in black knapped random flint, terminating in a 3rd matching
brick pier and finial.


Listing NGR: TL8658571266

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.