History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Culford Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Culford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3011 / 52°18'3"N

Longitude: 0.6852 / 0°41'6"E

OS Eastings: 583187

OS Northings: 270388

OS Grid: TL831703

Mapcode National: GBR QD6.L2X

Mapcode Global: VHJGG.TFMC

Entry Name: Culford Hall

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031236

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284211

Location: Culford, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Culford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Culford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ingham

Listing Text

TL 87 SW CULFORD CULFORD PARK

1/15 Culford Hall
14.7.55
- II*

Mansion, now used as a co-educational public school. The original hall, built
by Sir Nathaniel Bacon in the late C16, was rebuilt for the first Marquess
Cornwallis circa. 1800, the design attributed to James Wyatt: greatly enlarged
by William Young for Earl Cadogan c.1890 in an Italian style. The 7-bay 2 1/2
storey brick house of Marquess Cornwallis forms the core of the present
building, but is completely overlaid externally by the Cadogan extensions, in
white brick with stone ornaments and details. 3 storeys, irregular form. The
main front is topped by a stone balustrade with urns above. Asymmetrical tower
with a square copper-roofed cupola. Range of small-paned sash windows in deep
reveals with eared architraves. Large single-storey flat-roofed porch, with a
long portico extension supported on fluted Ionic columns. A large wing at the
west end bears the Cadogan arms and date 1894. On the east, a 2-storey range of
about the same date. The principal rooms in the Cadogan extensions are
lavishly decorated in an ornate Italian Baroque style, with carved woodwork and
ornate gilded plaster ceilings. Of the same date is a fine stone open newel
staircase, with cast iron balustrades, fitted into the older part of the house.
The Cornwallis interiors are in a restrained Greek Revival style. The rear
hall is paved with limestone squares, and the floor of the entrance hall has
limestone squares with black dots. The grounds were laid out by Humphry
Repton.


Listing NGR: TL8318770388

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.