This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3849 / 52°23'5"N
Longitude: 0.8974 / 0°53'50"E
OS Eastings: 597279
OS Northings: 280270
OS Grid: TL972802
Mapcode National: GBR SG4.KP7
Mapcode Global: VHKCN.HBS2
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Last Amended: 12 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284175
Location: Knettishall, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP22
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Knettishall
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Riddlesworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TL 98 SE KNETTISHALL
2/54 Church of All Saints
(Formerly listed as Remains
14.7.55 of Church of All Saints)
Former parish church, disused since before 1900, and now a roofless shell. C13
and later. Flint rubble with freestone dressings. A small, narrow west tower
in 4 stages: remains of an embattled parapet with panels of flint flushwork.
On the south face are 2 panels with the crowned monogram SM, one on each side
of a central panel with a circle ornamented with mouchettes. Below the parapet
a gargoyle head on the south side. The top stage has 2-light cusped early C14
windows to each face. The west window of the first stage was apparently the
same, but the tracery is now fragmentary. The side walls of the nave and
chancel stand to the tops of the windows, but all are gaping holes except for
the 2 openings at the west end of the nave, which have the remains of lancets
with trefoil heads and very deep inner splays. The east wall stands to full
height, with the tracery of a 3-light window with trefoil-headed lancets. The
church was formerly thatched. In 1933, when it was already much decayed, its
fittings were removed: the early C15 traceried font to Lakenham church, the
Stuart pulpit altar rails, holy table, font cover, and other fittings, to
Riddlesworth. For a description of the church in 1933, see Munro Cautley
'Suffolk Churches and their Treasures' p.285.
Listing NGR: TL9727980270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings