History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Olde House

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3777 / 52°22'39"N

Longitude: 0.7446 / 0°44'40"E

OS Eastings: 586915

OS Northings: 279064

OS Grid: TL869790

Mapcode National: GBR RDM.WLT

Mapcode Global: VHKCK.VHJL

Entry Name: The Olde House

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Last Amended: 12 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284143

Location: Barnham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP24

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Barnham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Barnham St Gregory

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Thetford

Listing Text

TL 87 NE BARNHAM THE STREET
(SOUTH SIDE)

4/22 The Olde House
(formerly listed
14.7.55 as Ye Olde
House)

GV II

House. Early C16 and later: restored 1980. Part 2 storeys, part
2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed, part rendered, with black
glazed pantiled roof. Internal chimney-stack with attached
hexagonal shafts. Various C19 and C20 casement windows. The
house is aligned east-west, with a cross-wing aligned north-south
running through the centre of it. This cross-wing, of two-and-a
half storeys, is the oldest part of the building, dating from the
early to mid C16. It formerly had a wooden panel (not thought to
be old) on the front, with the date 1553, which could be the date
of construction. The north gable wall, facing the street, is
jettied at first floor level, and has a projecting tie-beam and
attic storey. The studwork is exposed above the ground storey.
The capitals to the brackets below the jetty are carved with a
rudimentary Ionic motif, and the bressummer has the worn remains
of folded leaf carving. On the upper storey are the remains of
an original T-shaped window, probably with a central oriel: only
the 2 small side windows survive, with hollow-chamfer mouldings
to the mullions. Internal evidence shows that there was a
similar T-shaped window on the ground floor, with an entrance
door on its east side. This doorway has now been reopened. The
ground-storey room has a fine exposed beam and joist ceiling with
ogee mouldings. Both parts of the main range, to east and west
of the cross-wing, are of later date, and have little framing
visible. Both had C18 brick gable ends added, on the west
incorporating a chimney-stack. The eastern section has a roof
with one row of butt purlins and clasped purlins above. Reused
rafters in the western roof include some with smoke-blackening,
indicating the replacement of a medieval section of the house.


Listing NGR: TL8691579064

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.